Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

paula, how are you?

Posted by nancy s. on 2/22/03 at 05:22 (110281)

hi paula, i wondered where you were yesterday. taking a rest from the 'facts' as reported here at hs.com? at least we know now that Fox news reporting is the only 'conservative' reporting taking place on television and that, coincidentally, it's also the only television news reporting that is objective. what a relief! maybe i should get my cable back so as not to miss any objectivity. don't need any 'honesty' on tv, though, since it can be found here in the posts of a select few.

seriously, though, i mainly want to thank you for your concern about Moose. we lost Moose yesterday morning. we were with him when he died. he knew us and seemed very comforted that we were there. it took only a minute and was peaceful. we are very very sad, though, needless to say, and miss him hugely and will for a long time. i woke up too early an hour ago, in the middle of a big black hole.

how are you doing? if you have any new funny cat stories to tell, i'd love to hear them!

nancy

Re: paula, how are you?

pala on 2/22/03 at 09:07 (110287)

i am so sorry for your loss.

i don't know if i've told you about the bliss cat. he passed long ago, but what a cat. when i was young and had several roommates, one roommate brought a kitten home. he was the oddest looking kitten we'd ever seen. protruding red rimmed yellow eyes, a gigantic hooked pink nose, a tiny head and large body with huge hind feet like a rabbit's. unattractive black and white splotches and a thin hairless tail like a rat's.

his owner named him ananda, cause the owner was into eastern religion. but the owner soon came to dislike his ugly kitten , who grew uglier as ananda matured.

the rest of us came to love the cat, who was the happiest, lovingest cat we had ever known. he became the guru of the neighborhood, with adults begging us to let him stay the night with them.

one of us was going to harvard divinity school and was studying sanskrit and told us the translation of ananda was 'pure bliss'. this became his name.

i eventually adopted bliss and was fortunate to have known him.

i think Bast creates each cat and says, go , be as unique a character as is possible , within the evolutionary limits i have set. i have never known a cat to disobey that directive . so one of the joys of us 'cat people' is the unfolding personality we get to observe in every one of these rascals that bless us with their friendship for a while. the loving wise ones, the pissed off rascals, the big dumb lazy lump of fur ones, the sly, frisky playful cats.

if there is an afterlife, i think of my dogs and cats who have passed and like to think of them waiting for. me. if it is really paradise tho, they''ll be able to play scrabble.

Re: I'm sorry about your cat, Nancy...

Suzanne D on 2/22/03 at 09:32 (110296)

I've been thinking of you and Moose, Nancy, and was sorry to read this morning that he died. But you were with him and did all you could, and I know that will bring you comfort as time goes on. That, in no way, diminishes your sorrow, though. You have my sympathy.

I am still reading everything here and wouldn't want anyone to think I don't appreciate their comments. It is just an overwhelming topic concerning the present world situation, and sometimes I think I am in my 'first grade world' so much that I can't comprehend it all enough to make wise statements. It also seems that there is so much tension, and while I celebrate the freedom for everyone to have their opinion and express it, sometimes I just don't like entering into the conflict. Maybe that's 'chicken' of me, but if you knew everything about my situation, you would understand that I have enough conflict to deal with that I don't want to voluntarily place myself in the middle of more. I don't have the emotional energy for that.

I don't like to 'label' anyone in my classroom (special ed, 'hyper', slow, gifted) as I know there are no two children alike, and none of us are exactly alike no matter whether we lean more toward the 'conservative' or the 'liberal' viewpoints. I wish it didn't seem as if we were dividing up sides here. I think we all need one another even while we don't agree on everything. Perhaps I am being too sensitive in feeling that we are dividing up sides. That could well be, so forgive me if I am doing that.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend. It is raining here again. All the snow is gone now, but there is talk of more by the end of the weekend...My school has been out 12 days so far due to bad weather, and we are trying to play 'catch up' every time we get back to school.

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Kathy G on 2/22/03 at 10:16 (110305)

Nancy,

I'm so sorry about Moose. It is so difficult to lose a pet and the memory never totally disappears. I'm glad you were able to be with him and I'm thinking about you.

Take care,

Kathy

Carole C in NOLA on 2/22/03 at 11:17 (110315)

Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear that Moosed has passed away. Sometimes the death of a beloved pet is so much harder even than the death of a person. I don't know why, except that the love of a pet is so simple and honest and they depend on us so much.

Suzanne, sometimes staying away from political uproar shows the greatest wisdom of all. I admire your self-restraint.

I am having a nice weekend. There is nothing so wonderful as sleeping as late as one wants, and waking up naturally and rested. The rains have stopped here, and now it is windy and colder (60F) with dark threatening clouds. I got my car washed and detailed even so. It looks almost like new again. :)

Carole C (really feeling good in my Birkenstock Fuldas today)

Bev N on 2/22/03 at 12:36 (110344)

Nancy, So very sorry about Moose. It is hard for such a long time. We would take our collie for long walks, then when she died our walks were hard without her, we missed her so. She had cancer and was so ill, it was very hard on us all.We have hundreds of photos to look back on though.Hope you have a better day. Bev

Barb C on 2/22/03 at 14:43 (110381)

Nancy,
I am so sorry for your loss of Moose. Pets bring so much joy and love to our lives, that the loss leaves such an awful, lonely hole. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Re: moose

nancy s. on 2/22/03 at 14:47 (110384)

thank you to each and every one of you who expressed your understanding and sympathy. i appreciate it more than you can know.

i wish you all the best, with your feet and your life and everything else. right now i'm very tired, and i'm sure many of you are too.

nancy

Re: For Nancy

Sharon W on 2/22/03 at 15:56 (110397)

Nancy,

I'm sorry to hear that it turned out that way. I've had many pets that I loved and eventually lost, and it never gets any easier, no matter how many animals you've had in your life.

Sharon

marie e on 2/22/03 at 22:28 (110436)

Nancy,

I was very saddened to hear about your cat, Moose. Pets are family members and I am sure that you are feeling a loss. Moose is an interesting name. I am always interested in how people come up with their pets names. How did Moose get his name?

My kitty is peaking out the window as I type. We're in the midst of a snow storm and she likes to watch all the movement outside. Her name is Hannah. She doesn't like me so much but she loves the boys. We have two other siamese kitties. A mother and daughter. Their names are Meisha and Chloe. The siamese kitties love to tease Hannah. They bring our family pleasure daily.

marie