Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carole

Posted by Bev N on 2/22/03 at 11:15 (110313)

Carole, How are the plans coming for Mardi Gras? I heard on the weather station that you have had some flooding there. Are you doing okay in your area? Have a good day. Bev

Re: Carole

Carole C in NOLA on 2/22/03 at 11:33 (110321)

We are doing fine, Bev. The main flooding that they showed on TV here was at the intersection right next to my office! But I left for work yesterday before the first raindrops fell, and I didn't get to go home until after the flood had receded so I didn't have any problem with it.

The storms provided quite a 'light show' which I watched from the window. It rained hard and was very dark. They cancelled last night's Mardi Gras parades due to predicted severe weather (60 mph winds and tornadic conditions) but the severe weather did not materialize here. I think maybe the worst of it went further north than New Orleans.

Yesterday after work, a friend took me to a wig shop that she patronizes and I bought a wig. It wasn't expensive but looks very nice even though it is synthetic. It's medium length, ash blonde, and wavy/curly. I might wear that for the ball but I don't know if I have the courage. This is all new to me. So I still need to spend some time figuring out what to do with my hair, if I don't wear it.

I haven't done anything else yet related to Mardi Gras though I plan to this afternoon if I have time after cleaning house. This morning I got gas, an oil change, and had my car washed and detailed.

Have a nice day too, Bev! Weekends are great. :)

Carole C

john h on 2/22/03 at 12:05 (110333)

Carole may party and drink to much but then she may stay home and re-read War and Peace. This seems like an appropriate book for our Social Board these days.

Suzanne D on 2/22/03 at 12:36 (110345)

Hi, Carole. It amazes me how quickly flooding can occur. Last Saturday, for example, there was a small section of a major road flooded in the town nearest me. I didn't realize it, and it was about half a mile before a Holiday Inn at which my daughter was given a bridal shower last Saturday afternoon. My daughters and I would have arrived 20 minutes before the shower was to have started; however, we came upon the closed road and had to make a long detour to get where we were going. We arrived on the stroke of 2:00, the last ones at the shower in her honor! I was so embarassed, but everyone was understanding. As it was, all the others who attended except one came from the opposite direction, so they were not affected. They saw the situation, though, and knew why we were not early.

A wig is a nice idea, Carole! You can 'play' with it and figure out just how you want to fix it. You might find that easier than fixing your own hair. However you decide, I am sure you will be beautiful! Did you get the lace ruffle sewn to your gown?

Keep enjoying your weekend! I will be helping transport some of the youth from church to a skating party this afternoon and watching in amazement - as I always do - at all these people who can skate! My most athletic achievement has always been riding a bike!
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/22/03 at 12:41 (110347)

John, I won't be drinking but I do intend to party at the Mardi Gras ball! I will throw caution to the winds and party like it is the last Mardi Gras ball that I ever attend. Who knows; being a single woman my age, it might be. I intend to party a few other times too. :)

I haven't read War and Peace since I was eleven. At that age it was a great challenge to me to read something that long, and that was my main motivation for reading it. After the Social Board this week, the parts about war might not seem bad at all. The romantic parts were really mushy when I was eleven. Maybe I should read it again now that I'm older. The romantic parts might not seem quite so bad now. LOL

Carole C

Re: Suzanne

Carole C in NOLA on 2/22/03 at 13:01 (110351)

Suzanne, you are right about how quickly flooding can occur. I was safe and dry high up in my office building, but some co-workers were worried and watchful to make sure that our cars did not get flooded as happened in a previous flood there.

I am glad that you drove around the flood rather than trying to drive through it. And it sounds like your timing was not bad because you weren't late. :)

I haven't sewn the lace ruffle to my gown yet but plan to work on that tonight. There are some television shows on that I like so I can watch them as I sew.

I think my skating days are behind me, too, but I love to watch people skate on TV. The effortlessness with which they move is beautiful to see. I hope you have fun at the skating party!

Carole C

Re: Mardi Gras Hair!!!! I can't believe it, but...

Carole C in NOLA on 2/22/03 at 20:04 (110423)

I can't believe it but I just cut my hair! No, I mean I really CUT it all off. LOL I hadn't even trimmed it since 1992, and I just cut about a foot off of it, give or take a couple of inches. It's quite a rush to be standing in front of the mirror all alone and holding more of your hair's length in your hand than is left on your head, especially when you only got the impulse to do it a half hour beforehand.

It's about half way between my jawline and shoulders, which was as short as I dared. Actually I intended to make it an inch longer but this looks just right. When it's curled it will be about jaw length. Also I made nose length bangs, which on me don't fall as bangs but make pretty waves on the top, just like they did years ago.

Luckily my hair tends to be wavy when it's short, and also I just bought hot rollers and a curling iron, so it will curl enough to hide any slight irregularities in the length. I don't really see any but there must be some, I'd think.

Anyway, that solves the dilemma of how to wear my hair for Mardi Gras. I'll do it in hot rollers, and either make a headband out of the gold trim, or tie it to a barrett in bows.

This is going to blow the minds of my co-workers, who have never seen me with hair less than 22 inches long.

You know what? I REALLY LIKE IT. (big grin) My hair looks fluffier, fuller, and wavier even though I haven't curled it yet or done anything. I just can't believe that I did this; I feel so naked! LOL I will wait to take a photo until I have tried a few styles with the hot rollers and find one that I like best.

Guys, this is the female equivalent of an Evil Knievel stunt; extreme risk taking behavior! lol

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/23/03 at 07:49 (110454)

Good for you, Carole! :-) Be sure and post a photo soon so we can see your new hairdo!

Sometimes it's really nice to make a change.

Bev N on 2/23/03 at 13:51 (110492)

Carole, You Go Girl ! Wow, a whole foot of hair - you are daring ! How so nice to have natural hair that waves up, will be fun trying new styles now. Wait till you walk into your office tomorrow, you will wow them. Have fun. Spring is in the air (atleast where YOU are), you have a new style, you are feeling great, and you are going to the Mardi Graus Ball, wow - life is good. Have a great week. Bev

Re: life

Carole C in NOLA on 2/23/03 at 20:03 (110545)

I am so disappointed. After I cut my hair and everything, Frank wrote me that he isn't coming here for Mardi Gras after all. The blizzard caused a lot of damage at his unoccupied house in PA and so he feels like he can't afford a vacation now. I can understand his dilemma but at the same time I'm not a bit happy at this news. Not one bit.

At least I haven't started sewing the lace on the bottom of my dress.

Carole C

wendyn on 2/23/03 at 20:14 (110547)

Bummer. Can you go without him?

Carole C in NOLA on 2/23/03 at 21:03 (110553)

I could go to the parades, but not the ball. Besides, I wanted to go with him. I would feel like Cinderella without her prince. In case you hadn't noticed, I am on a big self-pity jag! poor me poor me LOL

Maybe he can take me next year.

Meanwhile, once I'm used to my new haircut (in a couple of months) I might have my hair colored partly because I want to and partly in 'retaliation'. He's the type of person who likes everything the way that it always was.

He says he's going to visit in a few months once his finances are more stable. However, I don't have much faith in his promises any more. Grr.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 2/23/03 at 21:33 (110566)

Oh, Carole, how disappointing! I'm sorry.

Your new hairdo is pretty, I'm sure. You'll enjoy it even if you don't go to the ball.

Frank doesn't know how much he's missing.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/23/03 at 21:50 (110567)

Thanks Suzanne, and Wendy.

Today I enjoyed shopping for bobbi pins, barettes, hair spray, and styling gel, to try to get my hair to stay where it is supposed to be, more or less. It will be fun learning to use all of these things again.

I also was pleased and surprised to find out that I can still create a look that I like with the hot rollers that I purchased yesterday, even if it doesn't stay there perfectly. I also used my new curling iron to correct one lock of hair that was not behaving. Armed with all this fine new equipment, I should be happy and I'm sure that I will be in a day or two.

Frank told me he was thinking of cancelling his trip last night in an instant message, about 30 seconds after I had chopped off my hair and still had some in one hand. Very bad timing! But, I hoped he would feel better about it once he had gotten some sleep. Today he told me it was definitely off. Grrr

Carole C

Kathy G on 2/24/03 at 10:06 (110582)

Oh, Carole, I'm so sorry that Frank had to cancel. He must have had good reason. And I'm so happy that you like your new hairdo! I admire your skill - I wouldn't have a clue how to cut hair - especially my own!

You must be feeling letdown but you'll get through. And I'm really glad you hadn't sewn the ruffle on the dress.

Hang in there!

Bev N on 2/24/03 at 13:48 (110602)

Carole, Hello today. I hope you are feeling better, it is such a let down when you plan so much for something and it is cancelled.Do you have a friend at work or just another friend to take to the ball since Frank is tied up? At last all the parades and activities will be fun. You surely come around to me as a really fun person and can find fun in everything.You sound like someone I could enjoy going to a parade and having fun with. Now with your new look , go out and have fun in spite of Frank, right? We wish you well and fun. Bev

Re: Carole...

Suzanne D on 2/24/03 at 15:06 (110619)

Yes, I was wondering, too, if perhaps you could go with someone else. It came to my mind that you mentioned that Frank had gotten the tickets for the ball. It would be nice of him, since you have made plans, to send the tickets to you since he cannot come. I know it wouldn't be the same, but if you could take a friend with you, you would get to enjoy the experience.

We're just sorry it happened after you made plans, and we hope you're feeling better today.

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/03 at 17:27 (110634)

Bev, thanks for caring and thanks for the ideas. I don't want to pay $250+ for tickets to take a friend from work to the ball even if any are still available. The parades are free, so I could go to a parade with someone else maybe. Since all I know about safety issues is that it's not always safe unless you know what you're doing, and since I don't, I would be afraid to go with a friend unless it was a guy or there was at least one guy with us. Maybe I can think of a way to do that. But right now I'm still in 'pity party mode'. LOL Maybe in a few days I will be more positive and enthusiastic about things and I will keep your suggestions in the back of my mind for then.

Carole C

Re: Carole...

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/03 at 17:32 (110635)

Suzanne, thanks for the ideas and thanks for your caring and sympathy. Frank was able to sell the tickets to his friend that was getting them for us, because they needed two more. So, there aren't any free tickets floating around. That's unfortunate in that I can't get them, but fortunate because it will save Frank a lot of money that he needs to spend on repairing his house.

Yes, thanks, I'm feeling better today, because everybody at work complimented me a lot on my newly short hair. They said lots of nice things which really cheered me up. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 2/24/03 at 17:51 (110636)

Thanks for the supportive post, Kathy! I think that if it were me, I wouldn't ever have let someone down the way that Frank let me down, no matter what. So I'm hurt.

I chose to approach the problem by not driving him away, but letting him know quite vividly how upset and disappointed I am, and letting him know that I do understand his dilemma at the same time. I want him to keep seeing me, but to really feel on a gut level how badly he made me feel so that maybe he will not do this again. But then, changing other people is a losing proposition so probably he will do it again. (sigh)

Frank has many other good qualities compared to some other men out there, such as the fact that he knows right from wrong, he doesn't drink or engage in substance abuse, he is brilliant and well educated, he is completely self sufficient, and for some reason he thinks I am wonderful.

He is not perfect but the imperfections of his being extremely short and bald are imperfections I can overlook. But he definitely did not impress me much by canceling on this ball. Nobody but those here (and hopefully Frank) knows how much time, energy, and money I had spent in getting ready for it and I don't appreciate doing all that just to have him cancel.

Carole C