Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HLA-B27 re:Complicated Case

Posted by SteveWG on 2/22/03 at 15:36 (110396)

Return visit to my podiatrist yesterday to discuss further treatment. He examined me once again for neuromas, neither he or I felt anything.

Reminded him that none of this began until I changed cycling shoes. He feels that this is more of a coincidence and not directly related to my current problem.

Engaged the subject of TTS. He feels that while some of my symptoms do mimic TTS, they are too inconsistent. The absence of pain with pressure on the inside of both ankles, the range of motion I do have and the intermittent numbness felt on the top of my left foot are not conclusive enough for a diagnosis of TTS. However, 'absolutely conclusive' was not in his vocabulary. Seemed to indicate that we may come back to that.

We discussed my history in more detail. My back problems in 1997-98 led me to 3 rheumatologists and 1 neurologists. Multiple MRI's, bone scan, X-Rays, myelogram, CT scan, and blood work. Conclusion reached by all was musculosketetal pain due to biomechanics. However, it was revealed that I carry the HLA-B27 gene.

My podiatrist does seem concerned about this. He has asked me to gather all the reports from my physicians at that time. He wants me to see another podiatrist that is a colleague for a second opinion. Stated that he wants to make sure that he has not missed anything.

Meanwhile, I have made an appointment Wednesday with my GP to inform him of my situation and request blood work. Not sure if I should keep my appointments with the neurologist and foot and ankle orthopedists. I understand that there may be a link between the gene and my symptoms possibly arising from one of the Spondyloarthropathies. Does anyone have any experience with a HLA-B27 patient? Are there any tests that you would want to perform and do I appear to be on a true path? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Re: HLA-B27 re:Complicated Case

AmyM on 2/24/03 at 12:38 (110598)

I'm not a doctor, I'm a scientist. All of the spondyloarthropathies show a strong association with HLA-B27. The spondyloarthropathies inlude ankolysing spondylitis (where the bones in your spine gradually fuse), reactive arthritis and psoriatic arthritis. You should be able to find out more about these conditions on the net.

Patients with any form of spondylarthropathy tend to have inflammation at tendons and ligaments. However, just becuase you are HLA-B27 positive does NOT man that you have a spondyloarthropathy.

I don't know if that helps you any, but good luck with your search for a diagnosis.