Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal tunnel syndrome

Posted by Monica B on 2/22/03 at 16:58 (110405)

In August of 2001, I had a surgical procedure done to remove a Navicular bone and reattach the tendon. (I apparently had injured this long before, but symptoms became unbearable.) I was hopeful that my foot problem would be solved, as I am a competitive athelete. Well, three days following surgery, I fell on my foot.

Since this time, I have been to several doctors (originally referred by the one that did the surgery) and have been casted, given Naproxen, Bextra, PT, orthodics, Tens machine treatments, cortisone injections, YOU name it. My podiatrist sent me for a nerve conduction test which came back negative. Had an MRI which showed an 'effusion' on my right foot. The podiatrist thought the effusion was a cyst and continued to inject with cortisone which temporarily eased the pain and seemed to shrink the mass. She shared for the first time with me on Monday that she thought that I have TTS.

Yesterday, I went to an orthopedic foot doctor who injected my foot with some numbing agent and determined that I have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. He claims the mass is not a cyst, but the nerve in my foot. He is having the nerve test done again, and shared the surgical treatment with me. I am devastated to know that I may have to live the rest of my with this crippling pain!

My question is could the original surgery caused this condition? Or, could it have been the fall? No one seems to want to answer this, but if the original surgery resulted in this, I need to know. Also, could this 'mass' possibly be a cyst from the fall and be surgically removed?

Thank you for your help, as I have been crying since

Re: Tarsal tunnel syndrome

SteveG on 2/22/03 at 18:16 (110409)

Monica - Hard to say whether the fall or the original surgery caused this problem. The fact that you have an identifable mass that shows up on the MRI may make it easier for surgery to deal with this problem. It may be possible to remove the mass and, as such, remove the pressure on the nerve. If the pain is debilitating, you might want to try neurotonin or some other drug to help you while you get a better idea of your prognosis. Many people on this board have responded quite well to the drug. You might also want to post this note on the 'Ask the Doctors' section of the message board to get more professional insight.

Re: Tarsal tunnel syndrome

wendyn on 2/22/03 at 19:01 (110412)

Sorry Monica - it sounds like you're having a rough time....no thoughts on what the route source of your problem is (beyond the realm of my experience)...

Steve is right - you may want to post your question on the Ask the Doctors board