Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Medical Marijuana

Posted by Pauline on 2/22/03 at 22:27 (110435)

I'm up for a discussion on the conviction of columnist, Ed Rosenthal for growing and suppling marijuana for medical use in accordance with California state law.

Anyone care to throw this one around?

Re: Medical Marijuana

Sharon W on 2/23/03 at 10:41 (110467)

I haven't followed the details of the Ed Rosenthal case but I do know that he was growing marijuana for people whose MEDICAL conditions had led their doctors to prescribe it, and that the (federal) judge in this case -- INCREDIBLY -- refused to allow the jury to be told that the marijuana was intended for use by medical patients. 4 of the jurors, AFTER being told this crucial piece of evidence, stood WITH Rosenthal, demanding a MISTRIAL because they weren't told this information.

The judge did not even allow defense lawyers to inform the jury about California's medical marijuana law. I do not know the details of this law, myself, and I cannot say whether Rosenthal was acting within their constraints.

It was FEDERAL laws that he was convicted of breaking, however, and the case was tried by federal court.

I do believe in medical marijuana and I would like to see federal law changed to allow it to be prescribed by doctors (preferrably NOT in cigarette form, however -- the smoke is full of unnecessary toxins, and of course the potency is impossible to control with natural plants, especially so long as it must be grown in secret or else growers will risk Rosenthal's fate). It seems clear that marijuana is something which helps terminally ill cancer patients to have an appetite, and to keep their food down, so that they don't become malnourished as well as being sick from the cancer itself. How can THAT be a bad thing?? Opiates and other drugs that are not permitted for recreational use, ARE permitted to be prescribed for medical purposes. Why not marijuana?

john h on 2/23/03 at 10:55 (110472)

Pauline I am always ready and willing to jump in. Personally I am all for providing what ever drug it takes to relieve pain an suffering. We routinely provide morophine drips for pain and I think the tendancy has been for medicine to address pain more than it formerly did. The Doctors have to be careful as so many addicts can fake pain and diseases in order to get drugs. My daugter works in the emergency room of a large hospital and she tell me that each and every day people appear with all the right symptoms to try and get drugs prescribed. When I had a kidney stone the emergeny room made me jump through hoops of all sorts to make sure I was not trying to just get some pain killer. For a while I used Ultram in small doses for pain. It is not even a drug you can become addicted to but he said the street price on this drug is $3 or so a pill while it probably sells for $.30 to $.40 a pill so he has to be careful to whom he prescribes the med. I think that some agency rountinely looks at what doctors are prescribing to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Kathy G on 2/23/03 at 14:40 (110501)

I haven't read about Rosenthal lately and was unaware of the trial outcome. It sounds like a mistrial, doesn't it?

At any rate, I am totally in favor of doctor's being able to prescribe medicinal marijuana if all other traditional drugs have failed. It has proved to be very beneficial to cancer patients on chemo and to glaucoma patients. If it was dispensed in pharmacies, it would be controlled and people would know they weren't getting catnip or oregano but the real thing.

I do wonder if it would increase the incidence of pharmacy break-ins, though.

Interesting subject.

Dr. Z on 2/23/03 at 17:21 (110534)

The guy was screwed. If the jury feels that they were duped then the judge has a responsibility to correct this ridiculous case. How can a jury not be told that he was hired by the state to grow the stuff is beyond me.
This is another example of Federal rigths vs state.
The sad thing about this entire case is that the guy is going to jail . There is no back up to prevent this case of abuse of federal power.

wendyn on 2/25/03 at 18:42 (110757)

Missed this one too Pauline (I've been a little busy lately).

I'm all for the medicinal use of pot (it's probably a far safer pain killer than most of the stuff on the market today).

That is my unresearched, uneducated opinion!

There are far more dangerous things out there in the world - and I think the preoccupation with arresting some 50 year old man with MS who smokes pot is a big waste of everyones time.

BGCPed on 2/26/03 at 06:59 (110796)

Once Pfizer or one of those big guys could patent or get a lock on marijuana pill. Then they could pay off the FDA ,THEN it would become a magical drug that would help millions. The fact that regular joes can make and the stigma behind it will make that a hard battle

Kathy G on 2/26/03 at 08:22 (110811)

Maybe it'll be touted as a natural remedy and you'll be able to buy it in a natural food/drug store!

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/26/03 at 21:06 (110932)

Great idea! It will be hard to get that one past the FDA though unless it can be labeled a 'supplement.'

It is amazing to see all the action over artificial sweeteners through the years. Most of the research concerning safety of Aspartame (NutraSweet) funded by its manufacturer is favorable while most of the research not funded by the manufacturer raises safety issues. Stevia is a plant that is naturally sweet and is used as a sweetener in many countries other than the US. It is non-nutritive (non-caloric) and to the best anyone can determine, perfectly safe. It is very inexpensive to grow and no one is going to spend megabucks doing clinical trials for the FDA. It is currently being imported and labeled as a 'supplement.'