Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain after endoscopic surgery

Posted by Trudy on 2/23/03 at 11:40 (110478)

I was wondering what the normal time is to still feel quite a bit of pain while walking after endoscopic pf surgery? It has been 14 weeks since my surgery, Dr. tells me to practice walking every day but I have only been able to make it 2 1/2 hours on a hard surface.The inside of my heel starts hurting and I automatically start walking on the outside of my foot because my heel is so tender.I am still not back to work because my Dr. said he has a hard time releasing me for 12 hours a day on my foot and must have 'no restrictions' when I return to work. It is still possible the surgery helped and I just haven't built my foot back up yet,or should I accept the fact I still have a problem? I suppose it is different with everyone because everyone heals at different rates but 14 weeks seems like a long time !

Re: Pain after endoscopic surgery

Dr. Z on 2/23/03 at 12:54 (110485)

Could be the inside fibers of the pf bands are still intact. There are times when six months is the healing period. I would have to examine your foot to detemine if there were medial fibers still in place

Trudy on 2/23/03 at 15:03 (110513)

If that is the case, would pushing myself to keep walking do any harm? My foot has been swelling between my big toe and 2nd toe and the inside of my foot(just above my incision)and my Dr. said to walk it out. I have been going to shopping centers to walk and try to push myself as long as I can stand it. Thank you for the information!

Dr. Z on 2/23/03 at 15:20 (110521)

First have you doctor take a look and see what might be going on with the
fibers of the pf and or the tendonitis. Have him or her evaluate you for possible physical therapy session.

Dr. Z on 2/23/03 at 15:24 (110525)

Are you still limping in the AM or whenever you first get up after sitting for any length of time?

Trudy on 2/23/03 at 15:34 (110529)

My foot just feels stiff so I limp just a little bit for a minute or two when I get up,same way when I have been sitting a while.It isn't morning pain like it use to be before my surgery.

Dr. Z on 2/23/03 at 17:15 (110532)

I would stretching your foot. Better yet look into a short course of physical therapy

Trudy on 2/25/03 at 08:48 (110675)

Thanks, I will try stretching it first.I was surprised my Dr. didn't say anything about physical therapy.Is it common to take physical therapy after this type of surgery?