Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

fluid drain

Posted by Marty on 2/23/03 at 14:31 (110498)

4 days ago I had tts and pf release. All si going well. My pod put in some sort of drain that I think is going to the tts release region. I think it has really reduced the amount of swelling I would of had without it.

Is this common practice?

Re: fluid drain

Dr. David S. Wander on 2/23/03 at 15:11 (110516)

Yes, there are certain procedures that will accummulate a lot of fluid following surgery, therefore a small drain is utilized to allow the fluid to be collected and measured if necessary. The drain is usually removed in a few days, and is relatively painless.

Dr. Z on 2/23/03 at 15:23 (110524)

It is also placed there to remove any blood that might collection fro the area that was opened. This will help to prevent a hematoma ( blood collection) and prevent poor healing, scare tissue and pain down the road. Very typical to use this in extensive surgeries with alot of soft tissue disection. Rest, elevation and is very important with ice during the first phase of wound healing. Hey you are going great and sounds like you have a doctor on tops of things. I say the more the patient is involved with aftercare the better th doctor looks.

Marty on 2/23/03 at 20:22 (110549)

I think I have been involved if you mean doing what I'm told to do. At least I hope so :)

I have basically have my foot elevated 24/7 for 4 days now. I have iced it but not as well as I should be I guess.

How can the ice penetrate this huge boot? I have not messed up there I hope?

You don't know how bad I wanted to take this darn thing off and ice! ;(

Marty on 2/23/03 at 20:23 (110550)

Thanks for the help doctors!!!

Dr. Z on 2/23/03 at 21:17 (110558)

It can't get thru the boot. Call your doctor and ask him about removal of boot for icing. So long as your don't walk with the boot it should be ok. Just remember to ask you doctor. I should or shouldn't tell you to take it off