Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain in and under toes

Posted by Terri T on 2/23/03 at 22:22 (110568)

I am JUST getting back to running after 1.5 years of plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I am thrilled to be running, and am easing into it with an accelerating run/walk plan (8 mins run, 2 walk alternating). Recently, I have started to experience pain towards the end of my 4 miles, in my right foot, uner the toes, but not on the foot proper (ie thisis not in the ball of my foot, it feels like its in the toes itself). It seems to affect my middle three toes, and crunching (ie flexing) the toes, as well as extending them, improves the symptoms. I am worried though that this will become another long process. Is this capsulitis? I already have orthotics for the plantar fasciitis, and am using a maximum cushion shoe.
Please suggest what actions I should undertake, besides NSAIDS (I know to do hat, although to be honest I haven't yet)
Thanks

Re: Pain in and under toes

Dr. Z on 2/23/03 at 23:09 (110569)

This could be tendonitis, neuroma, bursitis. It is my opinion that you are pushing your runnning program too much. Starting with 8 miles after not running for almost two years. Wow.
I would do some stretching. See if the shoe and the orthosis are in the shoe properly. Do you have neuroma pain. Burning. stabbing type pain. I would skip the last eyelet to give more width to the shoe . How long have you been experiencing this pain. How long have you been running 8 miles daily?

nicky a on 2/24/03 at 10:23 (110583)

My running trainers are raised 2cm at the front and not at the back.
This was done by a proffessional two years ago is it the same procedure now? I have heard all the trainer needs to be raised.

Please help nicky

Terri T on 2/24/03 at 22:38 (110654)

I WISH it were 8 miles. Its 4 miles, with 8 minute run/2 minute walk alternating. I started out just in Jan with 4 min/4min and gradually worked up the this. So I'm only exercising for 40 mins, just 3x/week. I am keeping that little walk session, mainly because of this toe pain. Its an achy pain. I wouldn't say its stabbing. And there is no point tenderness, swelling, or redness. So thats why it seems to me like some type of tendonitis/bursitis/capsulitis, but I am unfamiliar with this pain and don't see it described on webpages. My orthotics may not fit my shoes right, they were fit for a different brand of shoe, and I have been contemplating sending my foot casts back with a spare set of my new sneakers and have him make a few...if that is what my first step should be.

Dr. Z on 2/25/03 at 01:28 (110661)

It sounds like the beginning of a neuroma. Proper shoe fit is the first thing I would check. I wouldn't go out and get a new pair of orthosis yet. First test this by running without the orthosis for one time and see if that resolves the problem. If it does then that is the problem and then go get a new pair of shoes or a new orthosis with a better fit