Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease

Posted by john h on 2/24/03 at 10:50 (110590)

Was reading about a basketball player who was having foot problems and diagnosed with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. It is a rare inherited disease that effects the nerves. Does not seem like anything that might be mistaken for PF but you never know who might drop in here and read these post. Do a search and there are a couple of sites that cover this disease and its symptoms.

Re: Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease

Carmen H on 2/24/03 at 11:18 (110591)

I was tested for this...negative.

Re: Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/26/03 at 21:22 (110934)

John:

Charcot-Marie Tooth Disease may be rare when one looks at its frequency in the general population but there are 'nests' of high frequency in the US. It would be informative to know the geneology of anyone diagnosed with the disease. I started my career in the National Health Service Corps. in West Virginia and was aware of a nest of CMT in the north central part of that state, Preston County. Chris Ashton Curtis, DPM is a local and set up a practice in Elkins, Preston County and dedicates a large portion of his practice doing reconstructive foot surgery for CMT.

CMT is an autosomal recessive disease also known as peroneal nerve atrophy.
The peroneal nerve innervates the anterior and posterior muscles of the leg. Those muscles weaken giving the posterior muscles a mechanical advantage. The arch gets progressively higher and it becomes easy for one to sprain the ankle. Foot drop eventually occurs. Treatment usually involves muscle/tendon transfers in order to recreate strength and balance.
Ed