Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How did it go at the doctor's today, Marty?

Posted by Sharon W on 2/24/03 at 14:04 (110604)

Wasn't this morning your first appointment after surgery? What did your foot/ankle look like when they took off the wrappings? Did they take off the stitches? Is your foot in a cast?

What did the surgeon have to say? How long before you can start to put any weight on it? Will you be using crutches for a while? How long before you can start to walk on it again?

DO TELL, MARTY! I'm eager to hear all the news!

Sharon

Re: WENT GREAT : )

Marty on 2/24/03 at 15:13 (110620)

On man I was SOOOO relieved when the nurse took the wrapping off !!!!! No discoloration, no swelling at all, looked perfect as could be! The nurse said ' oh wow you've been a good patient' It looks like I have about a 4 to 6 inch incision for the tts release and a little over a inch for the pf release.

The Doctor came in and was really happy with it. He took one look at the 10 vials of fluid and just couldn't quit talking about how much I drained. I didn't tell him that I have basically been flat in bed with my foot elevated 24/7 for the past 5 days. LOL I asked how much fascia he release and he said all the medial fibers, wasn't real sure about that. Told me there was 3 large varicose veins in my tunnel and that is was a significant amount of blockage.

I will still have the stitches in for 2 more weeks, and I still have the strap on boot like cast and no weight barring at all for 2 more weeks as well. So I will be on crutches for at lest 2 weeks and then I will go slowly till back to walking full time. I go back to work Wednesday with the aid of a wheel chair. I rented it for a month if I need it that long.

The only problem I have is I can not get my heel down completely into cast. Doctor told me to start working on getting my foot to a 90. I knew this was going to be un issue but shouldn't be that bad.

Thanks so much to all for being there it has really help !!!! And Sharon you will be in my prayers and good luck tomorrow.

lauriel on 2/24/03 at 16:31 (110631)

Marty, gladto hear your Dr. appt went well, As for him telling you to try to get yourfoot to 90 degrees is great. Nobody told me anything until I wnet into therapy so I did not even try for month at least. That has been my biggest obsticle trying to get that range of motion back.
Laurie

Sharon W on 2/24/03 at 18:04 (110637)

Oooh, your doc is being really careful with those stitches! (Thing is, they do tend to get incredibly ITCHY once they start healing enough for scar tissue to begin growing over the top of them... they can REALLY drive you NUTS!

Did they remove the drain today, then, or is it to be left for 2 more weeks as well?

Your doc wants you not to put weight on your feet for almost 3 weeks, then -- about the same as my pod did. Will you be sent to physical therapy after that, like I was? Or haven't you and your doctor discussed PT?

Anyway, after those 2 more weeks you need to get back onto your feet very GRADUALLY, only SMALL increases of time and activity level each day. TOO much, and you can damage yourself. Not enough movement and exercise, though, and you can get your poor foor and ankle all frozen up -- that's a real big problem, and it's why PT is so helpful (as Laurie L could certainly tell you)!

And thanks, Marty, I really do need all the luck tomorrow I can get!

Sharon

Marty on 2/24/03 at 20:26 (110642)

I was a bit worried about my foot not being at a 90 in the boot and when the doctor put my foot in the boot and started to jam my heal in and I'm like aaaaaaahhhhh !!!!! I can't do it !!. So he told me to start working on getting my heel seated. I can already do it now. I think my foot was just really stiff and the doctor didn't know it wasn't seated because the nurse was the one that took off my boot.

Marty on 2/24/03 at 20:52 (110643)

Oh thanks for the tip on the stitches. The doctor said he was worried about tissue compromise due to the fact the my pf incision is only about an inch below my tts incision so he wanted to leave the stitches in. I will bring it up with him next week if it gets really bad. In years past I would take out my own but..... getting older. LOL I haven't talked pt yet but I plan on it and plan on going. He did take the drain out so I will probably have a little swelling tonight. I was still draining a bit. It didn't hurt at all when he removed it. Doctor told me no weight bearing for a minimum of 3 weeks. But I pretty sure I don't have to go past 3 weeks and believe me I will go SLOWWWW. :)

Thanks Sharon

dave r on 2/24/03 at 21:06 (110644)

Hey ther Marty. Glad you are doing well. I finally got my stitches out today. It looks pretty good. I have a little bit of swelling on my heel and some bruising around the incision. but at least i was able to wash my foot off. i am now suppose to start putting all my weight on my foot when i can. i am suppose to walk on it till i can feel that there is some tugging. So today i walked more than i have in too weeks with crutches. I feel pretty good. no extra pain. I am still using the cam walker to walk in. i am to use the cam walker for three weeks and then i will be fiited with a special shoe that my orthotic can fit into. the doctor did tell me that i am not to do any type of stretching. that walking alone will be enough for the first month. Hope all is well.

Re: Marty, orthotics ??

BrianG on 2/24/03 at 21:52 (110646)

Hey Marty,

Question, since your doc told you that he cut 'all' your PF medial fibers, I'm wondering if he said anything about now having to wear orthotics for the rest of your life? When I had my PF surgery, less that that was cut on me. The Pod told me that my foot would now be weak, and I'd have to wear orthotics from then on. I've worn a nice pair of SporThotics, but I really don't know how much they have helped. I do know they are comfertable, and I do wear them most of the time. You may want to ask your doc, if he hasn't said anything to you yet.

Good luck
BrianG

Re: that's GREAT DAVE!

Marty on 2/24/03 at 22:11 (110650)

Hey Dave wondering where you've been, glad to hear the good news!

How does it feel to have those stitches out?

So now you don't have to wear anything on your foot while sleeping right?

I bet that is so hard to walk with all your weight on it! Walk till you feel pulling aaaahhhh scary! You da man! Going to be so hard to do after babying mine.

Hey how long did you have your stitches in? 2 weeks?

Man I wish I still had that drain in, I feel a little throbbing tonight :(

Keep in touch,

Marty

Marty on 2/24/03 at 22:22 (110651)

He told me on my first visit I would need new othodics. He has brought it up every time I've seen him.

You know what weird is there doesn't seem to be much arch support in these boots and you would think one would need good support then more then ever.

I know one thing for sure, if my pod wants me to wear hard orthodics I will not! After trying 2 I will not get another pair so I hope he has an alternative. I haven't go to that point with him yet.

Thanks for input Brain,

Marty

dave r on 2/25/03 at 09:05 (110678)

marty, you are right. there isnt any arch support. The idea is make the plantar fascia spread apart somewhat by putting some weight on it. The it may heel up longer. My stitches wear in for two weeks. I am doing pretty good. i put the wheel chair away yesterday and am now walking around with and without crutches. I am surprised that it doesnt hurt.
my doctor did tell me that i will have to wear orthotics for ever.

Rose M. on 2/25/03 at 09:43 (110682)

I wear the orthodics inside the boot and it makes a huge difference with support. My podiatrist recommended I do this for comfort and support.

dave r on 2/25/03 at 11:15 (110696)

did you have surgery ?

lauriel on 2/25/03 at 11:25 (110700)

I think my hard othodics made my TTS worse in the long run. I told my Dr I will not use hard ones again, the Dr said there ares some great ones that are flexible. He wanted me me to get farther along in my recovery before I had new ones made.
Laurie

Rose M. on 2/25/03 at 13:30 (110709)

Not yet. I will have it for plantar fasciitis on one foot tnad the otehr foot for a neuroma at the same time. Is should be early April. i used the camm walkers on both feet during the sumemr and fall. I now have flexible orthodics that were made by my chiropractor. They are so much better than the hard ones I got from the podiatrist, although the hard ones work best in the cam walker.

Rose M. on 2/25/03 at 13:32 (110711)

I used the hard one in the cam walker, no surgery yet. I now ahve flexible ones made by my chiropractor. They are much more comfortable, although my arch seems to hurt more with the flexible ones. Did you have a lot of pain in yur arch before surgery? Thanks. Rose

lauriel on 2/25/03 at 14:34 (110716)

My first symptoms of TTS were sharp zingers in my ankle. I got my orthotics which helped that for ahwile, but then the pain migrated to the arch of my foot. It wasnt shooting pain but a dull throbbing pain. I think it was my orthodics that caused this.
Laurie

Marty on 2/25/03 at 15:07 (110721)

That's great to hear you put the wheel chair away... I jealous. :( Was it hard for you to get your foot to a 90?

I'm trying to get my heal seated down in the boot and think I'm just about there. It's a strange feeling knowing that I'm pulling on that cut fascia. I woke up last night about 1:30 in the morning and the fascia that wasn't cut was really screaming. Had to take a pain pill to get back to sleep.

Well I guess wearing orthodics forever is a fear trade off if we get our lives back so I'm game. Glad to hear your not in pain while walking and hope the same for myself. You know that seems so far away for me still. I'm still skeptical seeing how I've tried so many things for the past 7 years. LOL

Marty on 2/25/03 at 15:11 (110722)

I threw my hard orthodics away. I know if I didn't my new pod would want to try and ajust them and he did want to try. They made it so much worse for me.

Marty on 2/25/03 at 15:12 (110723)

I'm with you lauriel, I know it made mine worse! I was using OTC soft inserts before my surgery.

dave r on 2/25/03 at 15:55 (110728)

marty i have had pf for the better part of 6 years. I am going nuts here at home. i want to go back to work but i cant drive yet. A couple of weeks to go. i am walking without crutches. i am very clumsy cause my foot is pretty week yet. but i can honestly say that it doesnt hurt at all. My other foot actually hurts more.
Is your foot wrapped up at all? i wasnt able to get to 90 degrees until all the bandages and stitches were out.

Marty on 2/25/03 at 16:38 (110735)

I feel for ya Bro, I'm going back to work tomorrow, I took a week off and I can't wait to get back. The wife is going to drive me this week and since it's my left foot I good to go with my automatic car next week. My other foot is screaming, I have to have it done too. Are both your feet bad?

The the reason I couldn't get my foot at 90 is because the boot had extra padding inside. I took it out and now my foot fits. The doc wrapped it real loose so I can bend it easily. Was just the boot making impossible.

Go slow and you'll be there before you know it.

Rose M. on 2/26/03 at 08:49 (110817)

What is TTS? I have sharp pains in my ankle of the foot with PF. The chiropractor said it was popping out of joint. When it happens I cannot put any weight on it at all. I never know when it will happen. comments? My doctor said it is just referred pain from the foot, but this has been happening to me before I ever had any PF. Thanks so much. Rose