Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretches for Heel Pain

Posted by Tess on 2/25/03 at 11:17 (110697)

Besides 'Julie's Stretches', are there any other stretches one can do for heel pain?

Re: Stretches for Heel Pain

Carole C in NOLA on 2/25/03 at 11:42 (110702)

The stretches that my C.Ped told me to do are similar to Julie's stretches, but not identical. Here is what you do:

Sit on your bed or other flat surface with your legs out in front of you. Point the toes of one foot towards your nose (that is, inwards and upwards) while holding the knee of that leg down with your hands. Hold for 30 seconds. Then repeat with the other leg. Do this several times, several times a day. It shouldn't hurt. If it does hurt, point less energetically and do it for only 10 seconds instead of 30 seconds to begin with. When you are done, gently rotate your ankles to relax your feet.

There are many stretches that SOME people can do, but which seem to harm the feet of many or most people with PF who post here, and these include stair stretches and wall stretches. Julie's stretches and the ones I describe here, which are quite similar, don't seem to be generally harmful and have helped people here. There's really no need to do both.
Either of these two sets of exercises should be sufficient to help you to recover from PF quite a lot!

Happy stretching :)

Carole C

Jim C. on 2/25/03 at 17:57 (110749)

Hi Tess,

I found the wall and stair aggravated my condition, I believe they isolate the fasciia to much. What I have done is sit on my butt with my legs outstretched and simply touch my toes. This stretches the entire leg complex and relieves pressure on the heel, I found when I was hurting the worst this would relieve my pain for a few minutes and didn't worsen my condition any. Today I can touch my nose on my knees and interlock my fingers around the bottom of my feet, but it took me a long time to get to that point. Start out slow and be very gentle with yourself, and if your condition seems to get worst I would stop, and concentrate on rest and icing.

Jim

Dale S on 3/09/03 at 09:16 (112326)

Hello,
My husband has tremendous pain with a bone spur in his heel? What do you recommend doing for this pain, other than surgery. He has been to daoctor after doctor. He likes to play golf and then it starts hurting. He also is limping when he gets up in the morning and if he has been on his feet alot during the day. Please send me some answers as to what to do, or where to go for some relief for this pain.

thanks,
Dale