Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT - PAIN FOLLOWING PROCEDURE

Posted by ROSEMARY m on 2/25/03 at 20:16 (110768)

i RECENTLY HAD ESWT FOR P.F. THE FIRST WEEK FOLLOWING TREATMENT I FELT IMPROVEMENT. INCREASED ACTIVITY ONE DAY AND SINCE THEN HAVE FELT SHARP PAINS THROUGHOUT FOOT AND ANKLE. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I HAVE REINJURED THE FOOT OR DO PATIENTS SOMETIMES HAVE INCREASED PAIN BEFORE THEY SEE IMPROVEMENT. ALSO, DOES THE USE OF ANTI-INFLAMMATORY MEDS. INTERFERE WITH THE HEALING PROCESS FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURE

Re: ESWT - PAIN FOLLOWING PROCEDURE

Dr. Z on 2/25/03 at 20:30 (110770)

I find that it is quite common to increase activity too much after ESWT and then have pain. You could have strained other ligaments and tendons. Rest, contrast bath are very helpful. I do use NSAID post-ESWT when needed with MY PATIENTS. You are going to have to check with your doctor concerning the NSAID. Remember rest, no bare feet. So where did you have your treatment. Which machine was used?

ROSEMARY m on 2/25/03 at 20:52 (110776)

I WAS ACTUALLY PART OF AN EXPERIMENTAL GROUP FOR A NEW MACHINE. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT I WAS ONLY PART OF THE PLACEBO GROUP, HOWEVER DURING THE TREATMENT IT REALLY DID FEEL LIKE SOMETHING WAS GOING ON - PAINFUL IN SPITE OF THE ANESTHESIA. WILL ASK MY DR. ABOUT THE NSAID, SINCE I DO THINK IT IS PART OF THE REQUIREMENT FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE STUDY. DIDN'T KNOW IF IT WAS DISCOURAGED SO AS TO NOT MASK THE RESULT OR IF IT INTERFERED WITH HEALING. I WILL FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE RE: BATHS - WONDERING IF I SHOULD LAY OFF OF WORK FOR AWHILE - DIDN'T THINK THAT WAS NECESSARY BUT IF IT IMPROVES MY CHANCES OF RECOVERY, I WILL TRY ANYTHING.

Dr. Z on 2/25/03 at 21:21 (110780)

What new machine were you treated with

Rose.M on 2/26/03 at 10:48 (110833)

treated with the Orbasone Pain Relief System by Orthometrix.