Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Almost three weeks post op

Posted by dave r on 2/26/03 at 10:48 (110832)

Hi everyone. Just wanted to let evereyone know how i am doing. i am almost three weeks post op after having a plantar fasciotomy. i am doing very well. i am off the wheelchair and walking around with and without crutches. i dont have any real pain with my foot. i really dont understand why either. If there are doctors that could answer this that would be great! i would also like to know why some surgeries fail. it seems that there have been a number of poeple posting over the years that have had failed surgeries. Why does that happen? Also it also seems that people to well after surgery only to later find that there surgery has failed. I dont understand how that happens either. Any feedback would be great.

Re: Almost three weeks post op

Sharon W on 2/26/03 at 10:55 (110835)

Dave,

Scar tissue is often the reason why a person may feel great a few weeks after foot surgery and then start to feel worse again after a couple of months. With PF release surgeries another problem that sometimes occurs is lateral column syndrome -- especially if the patient does not begin using orthotics again as soon as possible after surgery.

Sharon

Rose M. on 2/26/03 at 15:12 (110879)

What is lateral column snydrome?

Marty on 2/26/03 at 15:12 (110880)

Dave,

Glad to hear your doing well. It' my first day back to work and it's going ok as far as the foot is concerned. A bit harder doing stuff then I thought.

I wounder if there might be some damage to the nerve that is not taken care of when the release is preformed. Or possibly more damage done because of surgery.

dave r on 2/26/03 at 17:30 (110905)

The lateral bands of the plantar fascia ligament are strong enough to hold a persons weight. this puts extra strain on the joint in that area causing pain.. pain would be on the outside of the foot on the little toe side

Sharon W on 2/26/03 at 19:02 (110917)

Rose,

Here is a post explaining lateral column syndrome:

Posted by Dr. Z on 9/01/02 at 18:53

This [lateral column syndrome] is a problem secondary to lack of support where the medial band of the plantar fasica was cut. Treatment consists of orthosis, local steriod injections if there is a discrete area of pain, phyical therapy. I interviewed a woman just recently who had an EPF done on her right foot and was in my office for ESWT evaluation for the other foot. I asked her about the healing time for her EPF foot. She told me it took two years. I was stunned by her answer. I have seen the lateral column pain take over one year to resolve and in some cases never completely go away. The plantar fascia is the a major supporting ligament it cut can cause and does cause biomechanical defects in the human foot.

Hope that helps. I have read that is important to discuss lateral column syndrome with your surgeon BEFORE having PF surgery.

Sharon

Dr. Z on 2/26/03 at 20:49 (110930)

Hey listen to this guy,

I hear he give great advice. !!

dave r on 2/27/03 at 08:08 (110962)

your funny!

Mar on 2/27/03 at 18:12 (111048)

Hey Dr Z -- are you 'stunned' that I have had pain and inflammation for '2 years' from my bunion surgery??? ;-) I sure am!! Mar

Dr Z on 2/27/03 at 18:54 (111059)

Sure am

frans on 2/27/03 at 19:22 (111063)

I too am having pain on the outside of my foot after heel spur removal. will injections help? also what is orthosis? I hope I won't take 2 years to heal. i wish i saw this site before i had the surgery

Sharon W on 2/27/03 at 19:25 (111065)

Frans,

How long ago was your surgery?

Sharon

Re: Frans

Sharon W on 2/27/03 at 19:30 (111067)

Orthotics are specially molded inserts that fit inside your shoe to support your arch and (hopefully) to correct any problems with how you distribute your weight.

I am not a doctor, or any sort of foot and ankle expert, however. May I suggest you post your question on the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' board? That's the best place to get a real expert to answer your questions about foot pain.

Sharon

Dr Z on 2/27/03 at 20:30 (111077)

You need have a podiatrist that knows how to handle this problem. It can be helped but say that time is the answer maybe harmful. Must treat this with injections, taping, orthosis, physical therapy.

Re: PS: Frans

Sharon W on 2/27/03 at 20:52 (111081)

Dr. Z IS a real foot and ankle expert.

However, you must already have had your foot examined by some sort of expert, and I assume that if your surgery was recent, you may still be under the care of a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon. If so, please ASK them about 'lateral column syndrome' and tell them about your pain on the side of the foot. Hopefully, they will (a) know what you're asking about, and (b) make the appropriate examinations and provide the necessary treatment.

Sharon

frans on 3/01/03 at 09:26 (111260)

dec.17,2002

Sharon W on 3/01/03 at 10:07 (111263)

Frans,

That would be over two months -- and scar tissue could be (just) beginning to cause a problem. I suggest you bring this subject up with your doctor, explain exactly what you're feeling and ask if scar tissue formation could be part of the problem.

Sharon