Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Iced in and sick!

Posted by Necee on 2/26/03 at 14:29 (110874)

Well winter has finally arrived! But it's not exactly what I was hoping for. It started sleeting about 6 pm Monday, sleeted all night. We have about 6' of sleet on the ground. The roads are terrible, I tried to make it to work Tues morning, but was unable to make it up the hills, so I finally made it back home and have hibernated here ever since. It rained last night, and with the temperature about 20* it froze on top of the sleet. There are stranded motorists and semi trucks on the interstates, it's really bad. I felt like I was coming down with a sore throat Monday, and by Tues night I was really feeling bad. With no energy, and no appetite, here I sit! This is the first time I felt like getting on my computer in days. I've got all this pressure in my head, my ears are stopped up, sneezing, runny nose, etc....etc....etc...HO HUMM!!!!
Any home remedies, would be greatly appreciated at this point. I had some chicken soup last night, I know thats suppose to be good for colds but what I really need is to get this pressure and congestion out of my system.
Couldn't go to the Dr if I wanted to, everyone is stranded in their homes until all this ice thaws....HELP!

Happy trails...

Necee

Re: Iced in and sick!

marie e on 2/26/03 at 15:13 (110881)

Necee,
Where do you live? I saw that Texas had quite a ice storm this week.

A freind of mine told me this remedy for conjestion and it does help. Hot lemon aide. Heat up a mug of lemon aide in the microwave about 2 minutes. It's very soothing and opens up the airways.

marie

Necee on 2/26/03 at 15:32 (110884)

I live in Texas Marie, and it has been very bad here, normally the winters are mild, but we were showered with all this ice, making it impossible for anyone to get around. I love the snow, and was really hoping we might get some this year......this isn't exactly what I was wishing for.

Thanks for the tip, hot lemonaide sounds great! As a matter of fact, I have several lemons in the fridge, so I think I'll give it a try.

Happy trails...

Necee

Suzanne D on 2/26/03 at 17:30 (110906)

Dear Necee,

I am sorry you are sick! If you have some vitamin C, take some generous doses of that. Drink lots of liquids to loosen up the congestion. Hot washcloths across the forehead and nose area can relieve some pressure for a while. I hope you feel better soon!

You are right: ice is not fun like snow. We've had that more than snow this winter. It is just treacherous.

Take care, and I hope things get better soon!
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/26/03 at 19:26 (110921)

Oh Necee! I am so sorry to hear that you are having such frightful weather, and sick too.

Have you tried standing in a very hot shower for a while until it gets warm and steamy and letting the steam help with your congestion? I remember when I was a little girl my mother used to put a 'steamer' in my room for that purpose. Antihistimines might help to dry you up, but maybe that is not what you need and the hot shower would help to get all of that stuff out of your system.

I do hope you feel better soon! I saw the snow and ice in Texas on TV, and it was utterly incredible.

Carole C

Necee on 2/26/03 at 23:51 (110943)

Thanks for the suggestions gals! I'm having hot lemon juice with a touch of honey as I write. Nancy I took a long hot shower today, it seemed to relieve some of the congestion.
The ice has melted some here in this part of Texas. When we have weather like this, its impossible to get out and go anywhere. It's not snow that causes the problems, its ice and sleet. When that stuff freezes on the pavement it's like an ice rink, and since we have no way of clearing the roadways, things come to a stand still. The temperature got to about 35* today, so things are gradually improving.

Happy trails...

Necee

wendyn on 2/27/03 at 07:08 (110958)

Necee - I've you've really got guts (and no one is around)

Have some of that hot lemon aid with some whole garlic cloves boiled in it.

I hear it's great for congestion (and vampires and birth control ;) )