Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

arch pain (but not near heel)

Posted by julia on 2/27/03 at 06:41 (110955)

Hi, I've had an occasional and recurring problem for the past year. I do karate, and we train barefoot. Sometimes during training, I get a very sharp pain in the arch of my left foot. Often this happens when I'm just gliding around the floor, and sometimes when I bring the foot down from a kick or pivot on it. It's not constant. It happens, then it goes away and I forget about it. Then it happens again. Unfortunately, I'm a freelancer and don't have health insurance, so I'm trying now to do a lot of research before seeing a sports podiatrist.

I've tried to research this online and the only thing that keeps coming up is planar fasciitis. But here's what doesn't make sense. Everything I read about planar fasciitis suggests the pain is near the heel. I have absolutely no pain in my heel or near the heel. The pain is smack dab in the middle of my arch (if anything, it's a hair closer to the ball). I never have the pain outside of karate(though I remember having similar problems a few times when dancing barefoot as a teenager). I don't have pain in the mornings etc. My foot is completely fine most of the time except when this happens during karate, and then it's excruciating (but only for a few seconds). It feels like I've landed on a stake or my foot is breaking in half. Usually I have to stop for a few minutes, but once it starts, it keeps recurring for the rest of the training session. It doesn't hurt after, just during.

So my questions are:
-Based on what I've described (esp. no heel pain), could it really be planar fasciitis?
-Are there other conditions that could cause this?
-What else should I be researching?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Julia

Re: arch pain (but not near heel)

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/28/03 at 21:10 (111226)

Julia:
It is possible to have plantar fasciitis anywhere from heel to just before the ball of the foot. It is just more common at the heel area.

Consider taping your foot to see if that helps. Beyond that I don't have enough information to speculate on other causes.
Ed