Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

C.PED Needed

Posted by Marty on 2/27/03 at 11:28 (110986)

Hi all,

As I sit here in my post op state (pf and tts release) I realized that I'm going to need a new pair of orthodics so I'd better get busy.

I've had 2 pair of orthodics, (both hard) and neither were successful. My insurance doesn't cover C.PED's (I don't have a clue why?) but seeing how I'm not eligible for another pair of orthodics anyway for another year and half I thought I would try and find a good C.PED in my state and fork out the cash myself. :(

QUESTION: Does anyone know how I might find a good C.PED for Salt Lake City Utah ??? Ya Ya I know, It's not New York but at least it's not Wyoming. LOL

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: C.PED Needed

Richard, C.Ped on 2/27/03 at 12:35 (110996)

Hey Marty,
I wish I could physically help you. I have never been to SLC and have always wanted to visit. Try this link. It allows you to find a C.Ped in your area.
Good luck!

BGCPed on 2/27/03 at 12:50 (111001)

Richard, what business do you have posting links to information on CPed? Dont you realize you are but an amoeba in the food chain of biomechanics? Please, in the furure keep that in mind....no get back there and get your shoe shine box you cobbler

Marty on 2/27/03 at 13:35 (111008)

Hey Richard

Man sure wish you could treat me too, man do I ever !!!

You should come and visit sometimes. Allot of really interesting sites to see. :)-

Thanks for the link and your concern,

Re: what's up with the new comer?

Marty on 2/27/03 at 13:41 (111009)

Do I sense some hostility with the new comer? What's up with that? Your the BEST!!

Richard, C.Ped on 2/27/03 at 13:46 (111011)

Yeah? Well...Your mama owns a Goodfeet store!!!!

Richard, C.Ped on 2/27/03 at 13:48 (111012)

yes marty...when you are the best and the king of the mountain, everyone wants to take a piece of you then try to push you off the mountain.

Just kidding...Brian is a friend. We are just being sarcastic due to a recent post. Please take no offence...its all in good fun.

I really hope you find someone that can help you.

Marty on 2/27/03 at 14:16 (111014)

LOL, had me going! I know the SocialB. has been pretty heated so I wasn't quite sure

Re: I found a few but to ask?

Marty on 2/27/03 at 14:17 (111015)

I found a couple I can email. What kind of questions should I ask to make sure they know their stuff?

I think a big one would be how they make the mold. Cast, step in box etc. By the way what is the best way? Not step in foam crap I know that.

I just want to make sure I get someone good because I notice there's surefoot on the list and I think this is a national chain type store.

Re: I found a few but to ask?

Richard, C.Ped on 2/27/03 at 15:29 (111026)

I used to have a web site that had tons of questions for the patient to ask, but MSN messed things up and the page is lost. I did a search, and here are a few from November 2000 which gave me the idea to do the web page about questions. I hope they help. If I think of more, ill put it here. More than likely, you will need a prescription from your doctor.

What is the cost of the orthosis?

Who will do adjustments if needed? how long will it take? cost? Are there free unlimited adjustments?

What type of materials do you use?

Who will interface the orthosis to my shoes, and how will it be done?

Will the insert be 3/4 or full length?

Will the bottom of the orthosis be round or flat?

Will my insurance cover any cost? If so, do I have to pay upfront then file the claim myself(I personally like to file the claim myself so the patient does not have to pay out of pocket. I have to
wait longer to get paid, but it is easier on the patients wallet)?

If insurance does not cover, will you give me a discount?

If no discount, can I pay in payments?

Is there a seperate casting fee? If so, do I keep my casts in case I want more made? Or, do you throw the casts away and charge me again if I want another pair made?

How will you make the casts of my feet? Foam box/wax/plaster strips?

If foam box, will you take the impression in subtalor neutral with a semi-weight bearing position (sitting usually), or will I stand up in the box (NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN----IT IS WRONG!!!!!) Personal note to customer: Do not help whoever is taking the impression by pushing down. Let them do the pushing. I tell my customers that if they push, it will flex the muscles in the bottom of the foot, mess up the impression, and I will have to charge them double (kidding of course, but it sure gets their attention:-))

How do you intend to keep my foot in neutral while taking the impression?

Re: wow this is great thinks

Marty on 2/27/03 at 17:21 (111035)

Thanks a bunch amigo

Re: Hey Richard - got one reply so far !!!

Marty on 2/28/03 at 22:09 (111233)

How does it look??? I just replied back and asked them how long they have been practicing, how many orhtodics they make per month and also the name of their business.

> > Hi Marty, My name is Tory. Thank you for sending me these questions. Here
> > are the answers:
> > The cost for a eva(softer material)orthodic is $135.
> >
> > The adjustments are done by myself or Ray Nash right in the store. The
> time
> > depends on the adjustment that needs to be made. Most of the adjustments
> > can be done why you wait. The costs are free and the service is
> reasonably
> > unlimited.
> >
> > The materials used are EVA which is softer or a polypropelene which is the
> > harder material and costs about $200. The top covering varies depending
> on
> > what you want. There are samples in the store.
> >
> > Interfacing the orthosis to your shoes is part of the adjustments that
> have
> > to be made when they arrive.
> >
> > The orthosis can be either 3/4 or full length.
> >
> > The bottom of the orthosis is dependent on the mold taken of your foot. It
> > rarely is ever completely flat.
> >
> > There is no discount. This may be discussed further with Ray Nash.
> >
> > You are not charged for the casting. We take a foot imprint and send the
> > imprint to our manufacturer. They keep the mold. But if in two years you
> > needed another one we would prefer to cast you again to adjust to any
> > changes you may have experienced over time.
> >
> > The impression are made from a box. We put your feet in subtalor nuetral
> > position semi-weight bearing. The most important is that it is in that
> > subtalor nuetral position.

Re: Hey Richard - got one reply so far !!!

Sharon W on 3/01/03 at 14:20 (111307)

Very cool! That sounds like someone really honest, really good to do business with.

Re: Sharon

Marty on 3/01/03 at 21:26 (111344)

They emailed me back about how long he has been a C.Ped. Less then 2 years and only does about 12 per month and most of them are diabetic cases. I'm a bit hesitant what you think?

Ps. I looked up the phone number at they are located in a big mall here and the name of the store is Cathy's

Re: Sharon

Sharon W on 3/04/03 at 19:44 (111814)

It's up to you; I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, and of course I don't know all the answers you got to your other questions. The fact that this C.Ped has less than 2 years experience isn't a plus, but on the other hand -- sometimes the enthusiasm and flexibility and willingness to research on a patient's behalf that a new professional shows, goes a long way toward compensating for lack of experience. He is still proving himself, but that may mean he is willing to go the extra mile for you...