Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Life Just Isn't

Posted by marie on 2/27/03 at 14:42 (111018)

Life isn't about keeping score.
It's not about how many friends you have.
Or how accepted you are. Not about if you have plans this weekend or if you're alone.
It isn't about who you're dating, how many people you've dated, or
if you haven't been with anyone at all.
It isn't about who you have kissed. It's not about sex.
It isn't about who your family is or how much money they have
Or what kind of car you drive.
Or were you are sent to school.
It's not about how ugly you are.
Or what clothes you wear, what shoes you have on, or what kind of music you listen to.
It's not about if your hair is blonde, red or black, or brown
Or if your skin is light or dark.
Not about the grades you get, how smart you are, how smart everybody else thinks you are, or how smart standaardized tests say you are.
It's not about the clubs you're in or how good you are at 'your' sport.
It's not about representing your whole being on a piece of paper and seeing who will 'accept the written you.'

LIFE

But, life is about who you love and who you hurt.
It's about who you make happy or unhappy purposefully.
It's about friendship, used as a sanctity or a weapon.
It's about what you say and mean, maybe hurtful, maybe heartening.
About starting rumors and contributing to petty gossip.
It's about what judgements you pass and why. And who your judgements are spread to.
It's about who you have ignored with full control and intention.
It's about jealousy, fear, ignorance, and revenge.
It's about carrying inner hate and love, letting it grow, and spreading it.
But most of all, it's about using your life to touch or poison other people's hearts in such a
way that could never have occurred alone.
Only you choose the way those hearts are affected, and those choices are what life's all about.

I wish I could claim these words. My brother sent this to me a long long time ago. He is a Viet Nam vet and a conservative Republican. We don't always agree politically but we both believe this to be true to all people.

It is rule Number one in my classroom. Just thought I'd share it with you folks.

marie

Re: Life Just Isn't

Suzanne D on 2/27/03 at 14:55 (111023)

Thank you, Marie, for sharing this! You teach high school, and I teach first grade, but we have the same number one rule.

Suzanne :-)

Re: Life Just Isn't

Kathy G on 2/27/03 at 18:32 (111051)

Marie,

Thank you for the post. It should serve as a reminder to all of what is important. I have been so dismayed by what is happening to these boards. Some of the posts have been so hostile that I finally just stopped reading. I think we need to understand that on some issues, we aren't always going to agree. The personal attacks have been shocking and have reduced a debate to a verbal attack.

I, like you, have a conservative sister whose husband served in VietNam. We don't agree on politics but we love each other and we just agree not to discuss the issues on which we don't see eye to eye. She'll never see my side and I'll never understand hers, but that's okay. It's all right to disagree with respect. That's what's been missing here.

I sincerely hope that we can things back on an even keel. These boards have provided so many of us with understanding, friendship and compassion. I just hate to see it be spoiled.

I pray that people will come to their senses!