Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

"Won't You Be My Neighbor?"

Posted by Suzanne D on 2/27/03 at 20:21 (111075)

I'm sure you have heard that Fred Rogers of 'Mr. Roger's Neighborhood' died today. I heard on t.v. tonight that his show was on the air for 32 years, beginning in 1968.

My daughters both enjoyed his program, and I appreciated his calm demeanor and the way he inspired children's imagination.

Does anyone else have fond memories of that show?

Suzanne :-)

Re: "Won't You Be My Neighbor?"

Sharon W on 2/27/03 at 20:28 (111076)

Suzanne,

What was the cause of his death, do you know?

Sharon

Suzanne D on 2/27/03 at 20:51 (111080)

I heard on the t.v. news that he had stomach cancer; if I understood correctly, I think it was diagnosed just about 3 months ago.

I've always thought of him whenever I see a man wearing a button-up sweater!

Suzanne

Sharon W on 2/27/03 at 20:59 (111083)

My girls used to watch him, when they were very little.

Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 2/27/03 at 21:11 (111088)

I really liked Mr. Rogers. When Christina was little, she especially loved watching Mr. Rogers. I watched it with her too, and I liked the way he spoke so clearly to children and explained things to them in a gentle and kind way. He seemed to be a very civilized and intelligent person, and I'm sorry to hear that he has passed away.

Carole C

Necee on 2/27/03 at 23:50 (111115)

I have fond childhood memories of sitting on my living room floor and watching Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Little did I know that what I was watching as 'entertainment', would be used in a positive and productive manner as an adult.
I also enjoyed Captain Kangaroo.
I heard this on the news today......Mr Rogers' mother knitted all those sweaters he wore. And.... he never endorsed a product on his show.

Happy trails....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 2/28/03 at 07:27 (111130)

How sweet! I didn't know his mother knitted all those sweaters that he wore. Somehow that makes him seem even nicer to have worn them all those years. Maybe they reminded him of his mother.

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 2/28/03 at 08:41 (111136)

I was born in 1968, so my early early years, I watched Mr. Rogers. some may think that it was hokey, but seeing what is on TV these days...I would want my daughter to watch that instead.

I do remember though, the one puppet that lived in that round looking house used to scare the crap out of me. I always thought she was supposed to be a witch. haha

Richard

john h on 2/28/03 at 09:38 (111146)

I hope this is not inappropriate but when I remember Mr. Rogers I always think of Eddie Murphy on Saturday Night Live with his portrayal. Mr. Rogers always thouhgt Eddie Murphy's portrayal to be very funny. Every once in while as a couch potato I would watch Mr. Rogers and even as an adult appreciated his works. He will be remembered.

Kathy G on 2/28/03 at 09:42 (111147)

That was Lady Elaine Fairchild, Richard. She was named after Fred Roger's real sister, Elaine! He had some real problems with Elaine, having been an only child for quite some time and not being real pleased when she arrived. I thought it showed that he had a true sense of humor when I heard that.

I heard an interview with Fred Rogers about 4 months ago on NPR and it only made me respect him even more. The man really was exactly what you saw on that show. Something that also illustrated his sense of humor was his reaction to Eddie Murphy's spoof of him on Saturday Night Live. He thought it was funny and actually called Murphy to tell him so.

My children loved his program and I liked the fact that it followed Sesame Street. It was a bit more low-keyed and seemed to be a nice contrast to the pace of Sesame Street. Of course, I think Sesame Street is fantastic and I thought the two shows were an ideal combination.

He was an exceptional man; one of those people who seemed to good to be true but actually, according to everyone around him, was exactly the way he seemed. I kind of considered him to be of the same ilk as Jimmy Carter, men who were almost too gentle for this world but who put that goodness to work for the common good.

He'll be missed but it is so wonderful that generations of children will continue to be able to watch his show.

Richard, C.Ped on 2/28/03 at 11:48 (111171)

Yeah Kathy...thats it! Lady Elaine. Thanx!
Richard

Suzanne D on 2/28/03 at 16:47 (111197)

I liked Captain Kangaroo, too, Necee!

I think I had heard before that his mother knitted the sweaters, but I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me!

Hope you are feeling better!

Suzanne :-)