Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT ? and pron to DVT, PE, and Greenfield filter

Posted by Tom C on 2/27/03 at 21:28 (111094)

I have had 4 blood clotsin my lower legs, one sending a blood clot to my lungs. I am on coumiden and have had a Greenfield filter installed to help screen out clouts (sure hope it works).

I have had 4 steroid shots in each heal and am told thats all i can safely have. My Dr. has recommended ESWT as surgury is out of the question with my clotting history.

I wonder what the consequences of brusing or other harmful possiblities might result from this procedure.

My spurs are quite painful, 1st steps in morning are brutal, I experience shooting spikes of pain while setting in the evening.

I love riding my Honda Goldwing but this may not let me contine!

Your thoughts would be welcome.

Thank you, Tom C

Re: ESWT ? and pron to DVT, PE, and Greenfield filter

Dr Z on 2/27/03 at 21:39 (111095)

It sounds like you a good candidate from a chronic pf point of view that has failed to respond to conservative therapy. The guildlines for ESWT state that you should be off of coumadin or any other blood thinners for three days prior to the ESWT treatment. We know the serious risks with foot surgery. I do have an opinion on how to treat this but I would have to know which machine you are having treatment on before I can go into this treatment

Tom C on 2/27/03 at 21:58 (111099)

I live in north central Ohio and I am just investigating this procedure.

This is not available localy and I want to be able to talk about it inteligently when I locate a Dr. probably in the Akron, Oh area.

My PD is sending a letter of neccessity to my insurance carrier to make sure they will help on this.

by the way, I am usually on my feet 10 hr a day, do some driving and Dr says i have the tightest ham strings he has ever seen. I injured my back many years ago, was off work for 2yr and also had surgury on my Archilles tendon while in the service. Old age ain't what it's cracked up to be!

I'm still kickin and don't have a Ground Hog for a door man!

Thanks Tom C

Dr Z on 2/28/03 at 06:53 (111127)

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/01/03 at 12:20 (111279)

Tom:
The cortisone shots actually place you at higher risk than ESWT. Coumadin may be stopped about 3 days prior to high energy ESWT but that needs to be done in consultation with your family physician. One would not need to stop coumadin before low energy ESWT though as the intensity is not adequate to cause bruising.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/01/03 at 12:21 (111281)

Tom:
The cortisone shots actually place you at higher risk than ESWT. Coumadin may be stopped about 3 days prior to high energy ESWT but that needs to be done in consultation with your family physician. One would not need to stop coumadin before low energy ESWT though as the intensity is not adequate to cause bruising.
Ed