Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Guidelines for Success

Posted by marie on 2/28/03 at 15:49 (111192)

I would like to propose some simple guidelines that may help allof us. I hope that you will all join in and add to it. It has been my experience that sometimes the way I write or say things may be misinterpreted. On the internet it is especially true.

1. Avoid using the word 'you' at the beginning of a sentence. It immediately puts people on the defensive.

2. Do try Power Talk when trying to make a point. Example: 'I need for you to understand my take on the subject'.

3. Avoid using all caps for words. It comes across like you're yelling. Also quatation marks around words comes across a little b_tchy.

4. Try not to send everyone all over the internet to make a point. It does come across like bullying. 'See all these people agree with me so there.' Make your point in your own words.

5. Please try to resist labeling people. No one likes it. Again it is a type of bullying.

6. Maybe we can try using a monotone pacifist voice in our head when reading posts. Especially for hot topics.

7. Ed I think you made progress today. Cool Beans. Just checking to see if you're reading this.

8. Waky talk. Say something toally out of chracter and off the subject when it gets to heated.
It has always worked for me.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Peace to all, whether you like it or not! LOL marie

Re: Guidelines for Success-wacky talk

Richard, C.Ped on 2/28/03 at 16:18 (111194)

I like cheese

Re: Guidelines for Success

Larson on 2/28/03 at 17:05 (111198)

Marie:

As far as guideline #1 goes, can we say 'you people' like Ross Perot?
Larson

Necee on 2/28/03 at 18:16 (111208)

Hey Richard, I LOVE cheese! (oops, I forgot....I'm not suppose to use all caps when making a statement....sorry).
Cheddar cheese rules! The sharper, the better.

Happy trails....

Necee

john h on 2/28/03 at 18:25 (111212)

Richard all the Green Bay Packer fans like cheese also. They even wear it on their heads.

Sharon W on 2/28/03 at 18:43 (111213)

Salsa!

Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/28/03 at 20:43 (111217)

Marie:

All good ideas. We lack the advantage of facial expressions, body language and gesticulation in this medium which means we have to try to make up for that somehow.
Ed

marie on 2/28/03 at 20:50 (111220)

Oh if you must....just give Ross Perot credit every time you use it. We don't want to infringe on any copyrights.

wendyn on 3/01/03 at 12:21 (111280)

If there is anything that gets my back up right away (from my days as a customer service rep) it's the 'You people'.

It was always guaranteed to be one of those phone calls.

Bleh.

(I like cheese also - but it makes my face break out in zits.)

Bleh.

Re: cheese

Carole C in NOLA on 3/01/03 at 14:00 (111304)

The fat free cheese doesn't taste as good but I'll bet it would solve the zit problem. I just finished a cheese sandwich made of fat free Swiss cheese on 100% whole wheat bread, so I have fat free cheese on the mind.

Carole C

Sharon W on 3/01/03 at 14:09 (111305)

Ick. I do buy fat free cheese and eat it on sandwiches to save calories, but it will never replace the real thing...

Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 3/01/03 at 15:01 (111310)

Nope! You are sure right that fat free cheese will never replace real cheese. However I think it's a whole lot better than nothing (though some might disagree with that!).

Sometimes I eat low fat cheese instead of fat free cheese, because it tastes a little better, but even that is not much like the real thing.

Carole C

marie on 3/01/03 at 15:06 (111311)

I love cheese!

marie

wendyn on 3/01/03 at 16:12 (111317)

I don't think so Carole - it seems to be a dairy thing.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/03/03 at 08:22 (111554)

wow...I didnt know that my cheese remark would get so much attention..haha.
I took that from the John Boy and Billy show on the radio. They play jokes on fast foot drive thrus buy only saying in the speaker, 'I like cheese'. If the service person gives up and asks them to drive around, they win a prize.

It is hard to tell if someone is being serious or not. Just think of me as being 98% goofy and silly...and 2% serious. haha
Thats me in a nutshell. Always joking and having fun.
Richard

Sherry on 3/04/03 at 18:56 (111805)

Darn! Everything I have read in this forum has included me!
With the exception for cheese .. I am lactose intolerable>heavy sigh>
I do eat the macaroni and cheese(powder only) does that count
by the way me feet still hurt when I eat the mac and cheese
hangs head with dropped chin and heavy sigh