Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Arthrodesis Fusion

Posted by Pat S on 2/28/03 at 20:43 (111218)

Can a reversal be done on an ankle arthrodesis triple fusion on the left foot? Before the surgery I told the doctor that the nerve was impinged in my foot. He did not address the tarsal tunnel problem and I am still having pain in my foot. I am physically miserable and my foot always hurts. I live in the Atlanta area. Where can I go for help to a doctor that is very knowledgeable about tarsal tunnel and ankle arthrodesis fusion? I do not know where to go for help. Any advise would be welcomed.

Re: Arthrodesis Fusion

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/28/03 at 21:03 (111223)

Pat:

You mixed two things -- ankle arthrodesis but also used the word 'triple.'
A triple arthrodesis is a fusion of the talus to the calcaneus, the calcaneus to the cuboid and the talus to the navicular. An ankle arthrodesis is a fusion of the ankle joint only. 'Pantalar' fusion involves a combination of the two aforementioned procedures.

Fusions generally cannot be undone because when a joint is fused, the cartilage is stripped away. The big toe joint is an exception due to the availability of joint implants. There exists and ankle joint implant but it is far from perfected.

What was the initial reason for the fusion? Which type of fusion was performed? Did the doctor tell you why he did not want to release the tarsal tunnel at the same time?
Ed

Dr Z on 2/28/03 at 21:05 (111224)

Why?

Pat S on 2/28/03 at 22:32 (111236)

I originally had a tarsal tunnel release operation on the left foot in 1984. I had relief from pain until 1999 and the pain returned. Also my foot was turning inward. I have always been very flat footed. I was in so much pain when I walked. I went to the doctor and told him that the tarsal tunnel had returned and would he please release the nerve that I could not tolerate the pain. He said that I needed to have the triple arthrodesis fusion. I had the fusion done August l999 and I am still in pain. Do you think I can be helped? Who do I need to go see? My quality of life is not very good because of this chronic pain. I can only walk about 200 feet and stand for only about 10 minutes. I live in the Atlanta area. Where can I go for help? He did not release the nerve because he said I needed the fusion and that the surgery did not work before and that he thought it would not help again. However I am feeling the same pain that I originally had before the original tarsal tunnel surgery. Please advise me what to do. I am in pain.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/01/03 at 12:18 (111277)

Pat:

Good to know that your ankle was not fused. The triple arthrodesis is often used as a procedure for severe flatfoot and should eliminate most pain of mechanical origin in that area. You now need to know exactly where the pain is coming from so it would help to seek the advice of a professional.
Ed

Pat S on 3/02/03 at 01:43 (111348)

My ankle was fused. I was severely flat footed. I need to know where to find the best doctor that is experienced in arthrodesis ankle fusion and tarsal tunnel surgery. I went to see a neurologist and he said I had lost use of muscle function where the surgery was done. I need help.

Pat S on 3/02/03 at 01:48 (111349)

This did not answer my questions. Thank you.

Dr Z on 3/02/03 at 08:03 (111350)

Go see Peach Tree Podiatry Group .Dr. Banks

Pat S on 3/02/03 at 08:07 (111352)

Thank you for helping me. I will make an appointment and let him check my foot.
Sincerely,
Pat Stanfield

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/02/03 at 12:11 (111409)

Pat:
Did you have a triple arthrodesis and an ankle fusion?
Ed

Pat S on 3/03/03 at 21:59 (111675)

The doctor told me that I had a triple arthrodesis ankle fusion on my left foot. He also did an achilles lenghtening on the left foot. This was on all my insurance papers that he completed for me. Is a triple arthrodesis and an ankle fusion 2 different procedures. Do I need to call him back and ask. I want to know what was done to me. Thanks, Pat

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/05/03 at 18:46 (111926)

Pat:
A triple arthrodesis and an ankle fusion are two different procedures.
Ed