Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

9 weeks post ESWT

Posted by Shell D on 3/02/03 at 09:58 (111361)

I had ESWT therapy approximately 9 weeks ago. SO FAR IT IS A SUCCESS!!! I had surgery for my PF 2 years ago on my right foot with NO success. (The ESWT was done on both feet) I am a nurse and I'm on my feet 10 hours a day and it was becoming impossible to work a full shift with the foot pain. Since the ESWT, my feet have absolutely NO pain on the days I don't work, but by the end of my 10 hours at work, they're starting to 'ache' but nothing like they did before the treatment. I only work 2 days a week, so my feet have more 'good' days than 'bad.'
Trust me, I've had every treatment known to man in the past 5 years of PF, and I've never had the relief like I've had since ESWT.
Anyone who's considering it, should definitely give it a shot.
Shell D.

Re: 9 weeks post ESWT

Dr Z on 3/02/03 at 10:00 (111363)

Great. Which type of ESWT machine was used. Really glad to here that you are doing sooooooooooooooo well. ESWT is a great alternative to any heel spur surgery

Dan M on 3/03/03 at 18:20 (111652)

Considering ESWT. Good to hear someone who has had a positive result. Question: did you feel this good from the beginning of treatment and if not what was the extent of your pain?

Shell D on 3/03/03 at 21:01 (111670)

I had the OssaTron and for me it has been a life-saver!!!
I actually had immediate relief. The first couple of days right after the treatment, my feet were a little 'numb' but after that wore off, they were great!!! I had forgot what it was like to NOT have pain in my feet! Getting out of bed in the morning has taken on a whole new meaning! I'm not limping and hobbling now! I would recommend it to anyone who's considering it. About 1 1/2 years ago I had surgery for PF because at that time my insurance wouldn't cover ESWT. They since have starting paying. (The surgery wasn't successful.)
PF was controlling my life and my career. This has been the best thing for me.
Shell S.

Scott Reeves on 3/04/03 at 11:27 (111737)

Shell,

Did you have ESWT on the same foot you had PF surgery? I had PF release on my left foot two years ago, developed a bad case of heel pain in the right foot since and just had ESWT on the right foot.

My left foot is still not 100% - but I had nerve problems too and I think they are back to annoy me some more. Had a lot more tests done on the left, but nothing to report. The right one was worse, so I did ESWT to hopefully calm it down.

Thanks.

Carol M on 3/04/03 at 21:16 (111821)

Where did you have the ossatron procedure done? Who was you doctor?

Shell D on 3/05/03 at 08:51 (111844)

Yes, initially I had surgery on my left foot. (2 years ago) I also had PF in the right foot, but not near as bad. Over the past 2 years the PF progressively worsened in the right foot, so when I had the OssaTron done, they did both feet at the same time. It's been wonderful! I live in Des Moines Iowa. I'm told there's only 1 OssaTron in the state, so they just transport it wherever needed. At the time I had SecureCare of Iowa for Insurance and they paid for it 100%. I've recently switched to United Health Care and I'm told they also pay for it 100%.
Shell D.

Rose M on 3/05/03 at 11:52 (111865)

Hi Shell,
You said you had two feet done? Did you feel any aching, or fatigue. I am finding that standing or walking too much brings on a sore, achy feeling, then my legs tighten up and I just want to rest. If I read your posting correctly, it seems like after the first couple of days, you were in top form, ready to go, no discomfort from the stress of the procedure. Am I correct, and if so, lets just say, I wish I were in your shoes!

Shell D on 3/06/03 at 09:11 (111984)

Rose,
I had both of my feet done at the same time. The first and second day after ESWT I took Ibuprofen for some aching in my feet, but after that I didn't need anything. I work part-time as a nurse so when I work, I'm on my feet 10 hours, and that's not counting the hours I'm on my feet before and after work. On those days, my feet do 'ache' by the end of the day. But the next morning I can get up out of bed like most people do without PF. To me, that's a miracle in itself!!! That morning pain was unbearable! I haven't worked for the past 11 days and my feet have been GREAT! I go back to work tonight, so we'll see how they react to a 'resting vacation.'
Good luck to you. I know this is so frustrating! I only hope my feet will at least stay how they are and not get re-injured..
Shell D.

tammy s on 3/27/03 at 01:42 (114739)

Shell D , I also am a nurse that works 12 hour shifts. I am considering this procedure in 2 weeks, how long before I will be able to do the 12 hour shifts? As it stands now I can hardly finish the day without getting right home and staying on the couch for the remainder of the day! What would be a realistic time period to request off? Tammy S