Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HELP need advice in PAIN

Posted by Mona on 3/02/03 at 17:29 (111473)

On Tues. March 4th I'll be 3wks post op for medial calcaneal nerve neuroectomy and heel spur resectioning with plantar fascia release. Starting yesterday I've been having this burning feeling directly at the center of my heel. It feels like a hot knife is searing me. The bottom of my heel is hard as well. The side of my ankle is very sore also. Should I continue to elevate with ice or perhaps soak in warm water? I didn't sleep but 4 hours last night due to this pain. Is all this normal? By the way I'm so thankful I found this site! I've reading the message board for about a month now. Thanks for any input.

Re: HELP need advice in PAIN

Dr Z on 3/02/03 at 18:48 (111483)

Heat can be very good. In your can try heat, cold the heat. Three minutes each.How much have you been on your foot.. Rest is very important you have had alot of foot surgery. You may need a boot cast. May need to start physical therepy. What does your foot surgeon tell you

Marty on 3/02/03 at 20:50 (111518)

Is 'medial calcaneal nerve neuroectomy' TTS release?
'heel spur resectioning' the removal of the heelspur?

BrianJ on 3/05/03 at 12:49 (111877)

Yes, 'resectioning' means removal in this context. However, 'medial calcaneal nerve neuroectomy' is not a TTS release. Rather, it is a cutting of one of the nerves that supplies feeling to the bottom of the heel. Usually, this type of procedure will leave the patient with some numbness in the plantar aspect of the heel.

Mona R on 3/06/03 at 07:43 (111975)

I haven't been on my foot at all. I only try to stretch the bottom of my foot by bending my toes upwards. This hurts really bad as well. I did talk to my dr (monday 3rd) he initally thought that I was walking on it and that's why I was having so much pain. To think about that causes me pain;( He said to stop strecthing it, keep it elevated (which I have been doing) prescribed me ambien to sleep, prevacid & bextra (I have IBS and have a hard time with anti-inflam's). I also have been applying ice several times a day for 5-10 min. I end every night in tears. I'm going to contact him and most likely make an apt for firday. Thank you Dr. Z for responding.

marie on 3/07/03 at 20:27 (112205)

Hope you get through this period quickly. Please let us know how you are doing. With any luck this will all be a blurry memory a year from now. We are thinking of you. You are not alone.

Mona on 3/11/03 at 21:38 (112610)

Thank you for the encouragement, Marie. It's 4 wks today and I can tell I have along road a head of me. I'm still non weight bearing (on cruthes). I have a lot of pain still doc said to wait a while longer before trying to put weight on it. I'm with him on that. Actually I'm dreading walking that only equals more pain in my head. Yes, I can't wait until this is behind me;) far far behind...