Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Life after ESWT

Posted by Mike P on 3/03/03 at 20:06 (111669)

What would you recommend to a patient in which ESWT does not work?????? Is surgery the next best procedure?????

Re: Life after ESWT

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/04/03 at 09:29 (111712)

A few things to think about. Statistically ESWT has a high success rate but it is not a substitute for conventional treatment so make sure you have had all the necessary biomechanical eval and control, etc. Before considering surgery, make sure that PF is, without question, the correct diagnosis and/or some other contributory cause for the heel pain exists.
Consider surgery only if the pain is significantly impacting activities of eveyday life.

Dr. Z on 3/04/03 at 11:31 (111738)

I agree with DR. Ed. If all has been done including ESWT and you have plantar fasciitis then surgery is the next option.

Mar on 3/04/03 at 12:19 (111752)

I am in the process of investigating Stereotactic Radio Frequency Thermal Lesioning as a next option, as surgery is not an option for me. Mar

BrianG on 3/04/03 at 12:39 (111757)

Hi Mike,

I would consider pain medication, before surgery. Have you looked into any pain management docs, or clinics?

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc