Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EMG

Posted by Jessie W. on 3/04/03 at 14:15 (111768)

I understand that the reliability of the EMG (Nerve Conduction Study?) is questionable. I was diagnosed with TTS as well as achilles tendonitis and my Dr recommended an EMG as the next step before surgery - I know it is a painful test - do you think I should have it and are there any ill effects of it?? Thanks!

Re: EMG

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/05/03 at 12:41 (111875)

Jessie,

An EMG/NCV can be uncomfortable, but it is a necessary 'evil' if contemplating surgery. Unfortunately, an EMG/NCV may not show any changes, even if tarsal tunnel syndrome exists. Often, unless there are actual degenerative changes in the nerve, the EMG/NCV will be normal. One of my receptionists informed me that you've made an appointment to see me next week. Bring any test results with you to allow me to have better understanding of your case.

Re: EMG

Jessie W. on 3/05/03 at 14:44 (111901)

Yes, your receptionist (who was very kind to me on the phone) was able to fit me in next week. I'm very much looking forward to my appointment w/ you & I'll bring all the test results.