Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain

Posted by Randy Kumar on 3/05/03 at 12:13 (111870)

HI there,

I have this heel pain for last 2 years, I was diagnosed woth plantar
fasitis. I have seen a podiatric doctor and given a custom orthoditc and
injections, nothing works for me. I went to see a another podiatric doctor
who gave me this new treatment called ' Radial soundwave therapy (RDS- Swiss Dolorclast), after this therapy my heel pain got worse than before and now I cann't even take sigle step without severe pain. I spoke to the Podiatric doctor about the this severe pain , he told me it takes 16 weeks to get better.

Now I am having severe pain on my heel, I cann't even take a single step without pain. Some time thepain comes while I am sitting or sleeping. I did a bone scan and showed nothing except the increased uptake in the right calcaneus. My family Doctor wants me to try Bextra for pain, I have already tried Vioxx did not help much. Is it safe to try Bextra ?

I really don't know what to do next, or where to go ?.

What's your advice for this heel pain, what treatment I should do next?,

Please Help

Re: Heel Pain

Randy Kumar on 3/05/03 at 12:24 (111872)

I am wondering getting a MRI would do any help ?, Do I need an MRI ? or what could be diagnosed with this MRI ?

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/05/03 at 12:35 (111873)

An MRI will assess the integrity of the soft tissues such as the plantar facia, Achilles tendon, and other tendons in the foot. If there is a tear or partial tear of the tissue, this should be seen on MRI. Additionally, bone changes consistent with bruises, stress fractures, and arthritic changes should also be evident. There are many treatments for heel pain in addition to the treatments you've received. Read Scott's Heel Pain book on this site, it's excellent. IF all else fails, ESWT is an excellent alternative to heel pain that has not responded to conservative care. Email me and I'll send additional information about ESWT. (email removed).

Maura W. on 3/05/03 at 22:23 (111960)

I had a cast off last week. I need to stand carrying fairly heavy items when I work. I do not really want to quit my job because of ben.etc. but am fearful to get the pain back again.I still have pain now-even with the cast recently taken off-even immediately when it was taken off.Does that mean it will recur severely as it was before the cast?I wear a night splint every night now too.

juliaM on 3/07/03 at 00:02 (112085)

Last June I fell off a ladder and factured my heel in two places. Was casted for 6 weeks 3 weeks and then another 3wks. Had physical therapy and was doing fairly well. I was told it was going to take up to a year,but it seems to me it is very slow and a bit painful daily. I am on my feet a lot. I was on vacation, should I follow this up again or just wait. It sure does slow me down.