Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neurontin-what does it do?

Posted by Lolly O on 3/06/03 at 10:19 (111998)

Does Neurontin cure TTS?
Or does it just hide the pain?
Does it reduce inflamation?
What does it do?

Re: Neurontin-what does it do?

SteveG on 3/06/03 at 12:19 (112016)

It 'hides the pain'. It is not an anti-inflamatory and it does not cure TTS

Sharon W on 3/06/03 at 13:55 (112024)

Steve, Lolly,

There was an EXCELLENT article written a couple of years ago on pain by Daniel Brookhoff, [I learned about it from Donna SL] and it helps to explain how Neurontin works to relieve nerve pain (the article is a bit technical, though; the explanation is mostly on a biochemical level). What it boils down to is this: when regular, occasional pain turns into CHRONIC pain (especially chronic nerve pain) then the body begins to make chemical changes in the nerves involved so that they no longer transmit pain impulses in the same way. The biochemical mechanisms that would normally 'turn off' the pain is damaged by these changes, and so the pain keeps going after it normally would have stopped. Here's that link:

This is what Brookhoff says about Neurontin (generic name, gabapentin):

'...enkephalins work by closing N-type calcium channels, which are found only in neural tissue...'

'Gabapentin, an anticonvulsant widely used for treatment of neuropathic pain, also inhibits calcium flux through N-type channels. Despite its name, gabapentin does not appear to have any effect on GABA receptors. However, GABA-agonist medications such as baclofen are among the drugs being investigated for GABA-like pain-relieving effects.'

-- Anyway, that's the closest thing to an explanation I've ever found for how Neurontin works to relieve nerve pain.

SteveG on 3/06/03 at 14:30 (112030)

Thanks Sharon - that is interesting and informative

Sharon W on 3/06/03 at 14:45 (112033)

Steve G,

I figure if that information is accurate, then while Neurontin wouldn't 'cure' chronic pain, it might help to keep the condition from advancing.

Lolly O on 3/06/03 at 14:56 (112034)

Does anyone know if Sharon's theory is correct?

Thank You.

Sharon W on 3/06/03 at 15:08 (112039)

Neurontin wouldn't keep TTS from advancing, because TTS is usually caused by biomechanical problems and/or repetitive stress. I meant that it might help to stop the cycle that results in regular pain developing into chronic pain.

Pam B on 3/07/03 at 10:42 (112121)

My understanding is that if it is used for chronic pain, it may in fact help to correct the misfiring pain signals from the brain to the affected limb and promote remission and aid in controlling pain in conditions such as RSD.....it hopefully will reduce the burning pain that comes with nerve pain and provide relief, but I doubt it would correct TTS.....my guess is it is used to hopefully provide pain relief in an effort to avoid surgery for TTS as scar tissue becomes a major problem for many patients......this is just my understanding of what I was told at my pain center in addition to just researching the useage of the drug on the web....it helps some people and some people do not get any relief from the drug at all....I wish you luck :)