Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

At home recovering

Posted by Valerie D on 3/06/03 at 11:41 (112010)

Thanks for the enocuragement. Surgery went well and the Doc showed the after picture(still in a semi-drug induced state) of the heel bone after the spur was removed. Looks good and she said everything went well.
I have a splint on up to my knee and an ace bandage around it so I can't see the drain. Makes me wonder......where is it draining too??? I have my first post-op on Monday when I get the cast, so I guess I'll find out. :)
Surgery was at 3 yesterday and I was home by 5:30. The foot is still totally numb from the local, so my toes have that annoying 'asleep' feeling and it is very warm. Talked to the Dr's office and the Surgery Center and they say it's all normal. I really want the feeling back in my toes, but I'm not anxious for the heel pain.
Marty, I'm in Colorado Springs. And thankfully where I work has an awesome disabilty package, so I can be out for up to 6 weeks and still get my regular pay.
How is everyone doing with their post-op? Still alot of pain, or is it manageable? I hope everyone is doing well with recovery and pain free. After all, isn't that the ultimate goal?

Valerie

Re: At home recovering

Sharon W on 3/06/03 at 18:50 (112056)

Yep, that's the most important thing - making the pain go away, and hopefully STAY away.

Sounds like everything is going GREAT so far!

Sharon

Mona on 3/07/03 at 11:23 (112129)

I just wanted to wish you the best on your recovery and to remind you to take it very very easy and to keep that foot elevated & iced. I'm 3 wks post op for PF release & nerve neurectomy. I'm having lots of pain because I had to return to work. Although I have a desk (gravy job) an I'm able to keep my foot up here at work and I even have my ice here in the freezer and use it through out the day I would have been better of at home. Unfortunately I only receive 60% of my pay after a 5 day absence. Your lucky to receive full pay. Enjoy your R(est) & R(elaxation):)

Marty on 3/07/03 at 12:55 (112143)

Valerie,

Glad to hear things went well. When you say you seen the pics of the post op heal spur do you mean x-ray? You are fortunate to have a good disability plan. Work has really put a stain on me. I got home and collapse. I try to go to sleep around 8:30 so I can get some good healing time in.

How's the pain doing today?

As far as the drain goes I have these vacuumed packed tubes that plugged into the drain tube. They actually sucked out the fluid and my wife changed them twice a day. I filled up 11 of them. I swell easy :(

Are you able to ice it much? First 24 hours is important.

I'm doing good thus far. I haven't had any unordinary pain other then from the swelling. The swelling is down now but my butt hurts like heck trying to keep my leg up on my desk has really been fun. LOL

Best wishes and keep us informed on how your doing,

Marty

Re: Mona

Marty on 3/07/03 at 13:01 (112144)

Sorry to hear your in pain. What from, do you know? Swelling, nerves ????

I too had both surgery's. 2-1/2 post op. I had to go back to work a week later. I though it was going to be easier then it has been. I'm so tired when I get home. (I have a gravy job) but not so with this foot on top of my desk. LOL I tried to ice it once here at work but didn't like it being out of my boot here at work.

Best wishes,

Marty

lauriel on 3/07/03 at 13:16 (112148)

I tried the foot on the desk, it didnt work out too well. The hardest part for me right after was keeping my foot elevated, they way they wrapped it, I could not lay my foot straight so my knee would lay to the side. My knee hurt more than my foot!
Laurie

Linda on 3/08/03 at 08:16 (112229)

when i had my surgery,and I had the drain, the doc gave me extra tubes to change the drain when it was full. I think i had to change it 9 times.
I hope everything works out well for you.
I am still in pain,and i had my surgeries in 12/01,and 3/02. Hopefully yours will be great!
Good luck!

Marty on 3/08/03 at 12:34 (112259)

Boy can I relate to this.

Re: MARTY

Mona on 3/11/03 at 10:55 (112535)

Hi, Marty thanks for the compassion. I'm sure my pain comes from overall swelling at the bottom of the heel. Were the fasciitis has been released. As I read these post here I'm encouraged and yet discouraged. My dr said I would have a tennis shoe on in 3 wks. I took that as, in 3 wks I would be walking (some). Have to say I'm upset at my doctor for not being more in depth with the post op details. I would of more than likely taken short term medical leave, had I known what I know now;) Here it is 4 wks and I don't even want to think of breathing on my foot. It is so true that eveyone as a different rate of healing. You mention boot what exactly are you speaking of. My dr said if I didn't get any better he was going to put a cast on my foot. I'm not sure how that is suppose to help!?!? I have a night splint (monster contraption, LOL) he told me to wear that, but it is awkward an uncomfortable.

please respond...best healing to U to:) MONA