Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Military personal

Posted by Pauline on 3/06/03 at 19:33 (112059)

I wonder how many military people may have P.F. and how the government
is treating them?

When my feet were bad just getting to the bathroom was painful, I wonder if our guys and gals in uniform with P.F. looking at possible front line duty will get desk assignments.

I can't imagine fighting a war and having P.F. too.

Re: Military personal

BGCPed on 3/06/03 at 21:24 (112067)

One thing that I know they did was change footwear. They had a rash of pf a while back. There is no break in period with military. For many it is the first time they have worn supportive footwear and made to spend so much time on feet.

The old boots had a breast which is a cut out in front of the heel. That creates a flex point in the shoe i.e. lack of arch control. They filled in the breast and the number of cases dropped significantly

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/06/03 at 22:49 (112080)

BG:

I wondered what type of research the military was doing in this area. The infamous 'cut-outs' even made it to military footwear.

I spent a month at the Podiatry clinic at Womack Army Hospital in Fayetteville, NC as a fourth year student. They saw about 90 patients a day
when I was there in 1982. They would provide orthotics but 'rationed' the number of custom orthotics dispensed, first going with Spenco insoles with a cookie, followed by a prefab cork insert.
Ed

john h on 3/07/03 at 08:36 (112101)

In my 20 plus years in the Air Force I never met a person with PF. I had never even heard of it. During basic training we marched a lot and you were taught or forced to really did in your heels when marching with a lot more force than when just walking or running. You would think paratroopers might be prone to fascia injuries.

Pauline on 3/07/03 at 09:24 (112105)

Wow Dr. Ed.
With numbers like that, Dr.Z's group should seek a government contract to provide ESWT to military personal with his traveling Dornier. Income possibilities could increase dramatically treating 90 patients at one site within a single day.

As Emeril would say 'Kick it up a notch' and have the assistant wear a camouflage outfit:*) This could be a win/win situation for military PF suffers, and the doctors on wheels:*)

john h on 3/07/03 at 09:40 (112111)

Dr. Z: I have just installed a spelling program on my computer that checks just about all applications including Explorer message boards like this one. Maybe I will no longer be the worst speller on the board. I think you need this program. It is good for both Windows and Mac and is named Spell Catcher. You can obtain it at http://www.casadyg.com .

Dr. Z on 3/07/03 at 10:49 (112122)

Wow, Thank you . Thank you. My high IQ will finally go down in postering. Thanks John

Pauline on 3/07/03 at 13:20 (112149)

Ah, but John does your spell checker 'affect' or 'effect' your spelling now?:*)

john h on 3/07/03 at 14:20 (112157)

just one step at at time Pauline.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/07/03 at 14:49 (112159)

John:

Thanks for the program. There is a free spell check program that can be incorporated into message boards on web sites that I showed Scott a couple of years ago. I guess he was not interested.
Ed

Re: Military personal...For John

Leon S. on 3/07/03 at 17:55 (112178)

John, I just looked at that Spell Catcher site. Do you know if they have one for the mac OS9 which is what I use?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/07/03 at 18:32 (112184)

Leon:
Looks like they have a lot of stuff for Mac on their website. How do you like your Mac?
Ed

Leon S. on 3/07/03 at 19:35 (112191)

Ed, I like the IMAC alot. It's the older one that came with OS 9 and I'm very satisfied. I don't play games and I don't download alot of stuff. I'm very content to use the material I have. Most of the newer items for Mac are for the OS X so I find that I'm limited on some upgrades. A friend of mine bought the new Emac (I think it's called) and he's thrilled with it but it does present a number of problems that are tied to security which I think he explained, makes it difficult to access certain programs or files. I might have that wrong but I think that's what he said. What I really like is the fact that I don't have to worry about all those virus alerts. My brother has a Dell with AOL that's driving him crazy with all the problems of freezing, dropping off line, etc.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/07/03 at 22:07 (112214)

Leon:

Supposedly Windows XP freezes up less than prior versions of Windows since it is based on NT architecture but I have learned some disturbing things about XP. Windows XP is designed to be interactive with Microsoft, reporting things like problems as well as reporting the type of hardware peripherals attached. Microsoft, supposedly, can monitor hardware attached but also softwear and if they feel that innapropriate softwear is loaded, eg. an unlicensed version of MS Office, they can remotely shut down XP on one's computer, or so I am told by local computer jocks. It seems somewhat invasive as Bill Gates (aka Big Brother) is watching you. I don't know how much of this is paranoia and how much is real.
Ed

JudyS on 3/08/03 at 08:04 (112226)

Hi Ed - I was noticing your mention of XP here and thought I'd through in a thought - I have it, yes, and haven't had too much trouble with it with the lone exception being in upgrading drivers, software, etc. That was quite a pain. The only issue I have with Office XP ( I have a copy of my son's original CD) is that, while Microsoft does detect it when I go looking for an update, it will not update it because it's not license-recorded to me/my computer. So far Microsoft hasn't actually shut down XP because of it.

Re: sold on mac

marie on 3/09/03 at 11:56 (112335)

Because my husband and I are artists we have been using macs for about 12 years. I have several in the attic starting with an apple IIGS. We have an Imac and a G3. These machines are our workhorses with OS9. When we upgrade in about a year we will stay with Macs. There are viruses for mac but they are rarely used.

We also have 2 PCs: a dell and a unit a business associate built for us. We need lots of custom stuff. We do not have XP but am interested in it. We will upgrade our PCs in about 2 years. By then all the bugs in XP should be worked out. I prefer to use the pc for internet search.

At school my lab has 5 Sony Vaios, 2 custom Compaqs and 7 computers our tech person built. We opted not to get XP until the bugs are worked out.

When we update the pcs for our business we will get Sony Vaios. They are incredibly well built and they understand the needs of artists. Of course we will check out American made products first before we make a final decision.

Re: Sony Vaio

Carole C in NOLA on 3/09/03 at 12:25 (112337)

Marie, my present computer is my third Sony Vaio and I have nothing but good things to say about them. They don't usually get top ratings because the price is high for the speed. However you are right, in that they are build like a fortress.

I think that Sony Vaio is a great choice if you want a workhorse that is easy to use and won't break down. Mine has been seamlessly compatible with all my hardware and software. This time I bought the second fastest Vaio, instead of the fastest, and I saved $500 that way. I bought it the month before XP came out, and it had Windows ME and a certificate for a free upgrade to XP. However, I let the certificate expire because of the privacy issued mentioned by Dr. Ed. I don't want Microsoft poking about my computer to monitor my software and having so much potential for control of what goes in and out of my computer via the net, and I don't want to have to buy Office XP. Windows ME seems to be just fine for my purposes. At work, we used Win 2000 with MS Office 2000 which I like better than Windows ME with Office 97; however the difference is very slight. The next Vaio will probably give me no choice but to go with XP, I suppose.

If you have a digital camera that uses the Sony Memory Stick, make sure that the Vaio that you buy has a port for the memory stick; you can take it out of your camera and plug it directly into most Sony computers which would be so convenient. Maybe they all have that port now. Since I bought my Vaio first, and my camera second, I ended up with a model of Vaio that does not have this port (but my next one will).

Carole C

Re: Sony Vaio

marie on 3/09/03 at 16:35 (112355)

Good advice Carol. I will keep that in mind when I purchase my next Sony Vaio.

When I bought the Vaios for our computer graphics program no one had heard of them except graphic designers and folks in video production. They are 4 years old and still run like champs. Of course I run a tight lab...in other words I don't let the kids abuse them. The kids also like the Compac that my superintendent bought...he surprised us with it. That was the sweetest thing any administrator I've ever worked for has done. He did a very good job using my order to Sony as a purchasing guide. The only thing about the Compac is that I have the darndest(is that a word?) time loading software on it. The kids do all their animating and editing on the Sonys. The average person doesn't need as much power as we need for graphics programs but anymore the prices are so reasonable that why not.

marie

john h on 3/10/03 at 08:59 (112412)

Marie I am runing two G-4's with Jaguar, Nancy N is running on I-Mac, Nancy S is running on I-Mac and Julie is running on a Mac. Jaguar just does not crash. The sooner you upgrade the better.

marie on 3/10/03 at 10:29 (112423)

Sounds like I should check into it. Thanks