Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstocks inserts for heel spurs

Posted by Marty on 3/07/03 at 12:00 (112135)

I had a C.Ped tell me the best thing for Heel spurs so they wont come back is Birkenstocks inserts. Are there such a thing? You guys have any thoughts on this?

Re: Birkenstocks inserts for heel spurs

bgcped on 3/07/03 at 12:24 (112141)

that depends on your foot type and structure. That is an ok device if so but not the silver bullet in my opinion

Marty on 3/07/03 at 13:03 (112146)

Probaly not good for my foot type.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/07/03 at 16:41 (112171)

Suzanne uses the blue Birkenstock insert and they have been very helpful for her. The blue one seems to be the most popular of the Birkenstock inserts. They might be worth trying but as BGCPed says, they are not a 'silver bullet' for heelspurs.

If such a silver bullet existed, we wouldn't all be here and there would be no need for these message boards. We'd all just run out and buy whatever it was and be done with PF forever. Unfortunately, that can't happen.

Anything that's suggested might not work for you. But, something like the Birkenstock insert has a good track record and has worked for a lot of people.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 3/07/03 at 17:07 (112174)

Hi, Marty! Here is a link (I hope it works!)from the Birkenstock Express site to the footbeds and insoles so you can see them. The one I have used a lot is the blue footbed for casual shoes. It is 3/4 length, and what I have always liked about it is that instead of a 'lump' in the arch area, the insert is molded to be raised in that area. In other words it is not a flat insert with a bump for the arch area. I hope I am making myself clear.

I have asked questions about the Birk insert on this site and have basically been told that it is a good device, though not necessarily a great one. Of course it all depends on what helps you. I use mine in SAS lace-up shoes, and as someone (I think BGCPed wrote), it seems to work only if the shoes are able to be laced up or otherwise fitted securely. The other shoes that it works for me in are a pair of 'snow boots' - nothing expensive, but somehow the fit of them with the insert is good.

I have also tried Superfeet, and they have a little cushioning which the Birk inserts do not have. Sometimes they feel better on my new school's concrete floors. But the arch support is somehow not just right for me. It seems a little low and a little 'far back' on my foot. Again, BGCPed advised that one might have to go up several sizes to get the arch support in the right area and then trim the footbed (full-length), but I wear a women's 11, and there was only one size larger in the store and it didn't seem any different.

It sounds strange, but it seems I do better when I rotate between soft footbed Birks, the Birkenstock inserts, and Superfeet inserts. After awhile, they all make my feet tired and something else seems to give relief.

Good luck to you, Marty! I can tell that you are reading a lot and trying to learn as much as you can to help yourself. I really do hope you can find improvement. Oh my, I just realized that sounded like a 'teacher' thing to say! I just can't seem to help it. If you've read any of my posts you know I'm a first grade teacher. It seems to always come out!

Suzanne :-)

Re: thanks for the link

Marty on 3/07/03 at 19:18 (112188)

I'll take a look at them. I just had medial fiber release so I'm going to have to ask my pod if I will need more support then these. Who knows ?