Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hardware removal and fusion

Posted by Nancy on 3/07/03 at 23:36 (112219)

On 6/5/02 I had surgery on my left foot. I had a posterior tendon transfer, lateral column lengthening, a bone graft and a plate and six screws put in my foot. Here it is a little over 8 month since surgery and I am having horriable pain when I am on my feet. I can only handle being on my feet for 1/2 an hour to an hour. After being on my feet I am miserable and often can barely walk the rest of the day and I am miserable for 2-3 days afterwards. After surgery I went through PT from 7/02 to 11/02 with little to no improvement. I have a RS Muscle Stimulator for home use and have been using that 3 x's daily since 11/02. This has helped my movement but has done nothing for my pain. I had a CT on 2/24/03 My DR says that the CT does not show any reason I should be having the pain I am having. He said there is some scar tissue and not much deterioation. He wants to take out my hardware thinking that will greatly reduce my pain and he talked about possiably doing a fusion. I am so confused and don't know what to do. I don't really understand what a fusion is/what all it involves or why it should be done, he didn't explain it to well to me. I have not agreed to have any of this done yet, and I am wondering if I should.

Re: Hardware removal and fusion

Dr Z on 3/08/03 at 13:11 (112266)

Hi

A fusion is where the joint surface is removed, a screw or pin is placed across the joint or joints and then allowed to heal so there is no motion in that joint. I would consider removal of your present screws and plates if your doctor thinks this maybe the cause, You need a multiple joint fusion eventually to stop this pain. You can always get a second opinion to see if what another doctor thinks. You have to do something