Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel surgery

Posted by Perry K. on 3/08/03 at 18:32 (112296)

I had TTS surgery 3 days ago.

I opted for surgical intervention because my ankle joint felt weak. Also, I had some very bearable pain on the exact spot of the tarsal tunnel. All of the above was caused by trauma (accident).

I have felt no pain since the surgery. I only took one Vicodin the night of the operation because I was anticipating pain. I do feel some tinglling on the arch of my foot and between my big toe and the one next to it. Prior to the surgery, the tinglling was barely noticeable and almost non-existant. Again, I opted for surgery to gain strength back I had prior to the accident.

Are these tinglling sensations normal?
Will they eventually disappear?

Is it normal that I have absolutely no pain, other than the annoying tingling sensations?

Last, please note that I can move my toes.

Regards.

Re: tarsal tunnel surgery

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/09/03 at 10:14 (112330)

First, be happy that you have no pain. That is an excellent sign and also indicates excellent surgical technique by your surgeon. Any time there is an injury to a nerve via trauma including surgery, there is a possibility that the nerve will not recover 100%. The tingling that seems to be slightly more prominent than prior to the surgery may be from the actual trauma of the surgery, localized swelling from the surgery, etc. It is too early to determine if the tingling will subside, but chances are it may subside with some residual tingling always present. IF you are not experiencing pain, be thankful and discuss all your concerns with your doctor.