Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascia Atrophy

Posted by RolandR on 3/10/03 at 08:43 (112408)

I have started using Heelspurs.com taping technique with great success. I use the three strands of tape on an overlap from the ball of the foot to the heel. It has reduced plantar fasciitis/heel spur type pains quite effectively and quickly. I am now into my second week of doing this and progressing. I have also just started using an OTC insert with arch support. Things are definitely looking up for me.

Presumably, the tape assists by assuming some of the tensile forces applied to the plantar fascia. Does the plantar fascia sustain atrophy from lack of use? Does it lose any of its properties by lack of or reduced use? Is there a point at which the assistance provided by the tape turn from helpful to harmful?

Your insights on this will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Roland

Re: Plantar Fascia Atrophy

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/10/03 at 13:39 (112443)

No, the plantar fascia will not atrophy if you continue to support it with the taping. It is not a muscle, it is more of a ligament and will not atrophy with taping. Other than skin irritation, there will be no long term harm to your plantar fascia by supporting it with tape or orthoses. If you have success with taping, and don't have success with inserts in your shoes, you may want to look into purchasing a product called the 'pronation spring control', fabricated by a company named Fabrifoam. It is basically a 'wrap' that simulates a taping and is re-usable. Look up the website for Fabrifoam. The wrap should be in the $25-30$ range.

Re: Plantar Fascia Atrophy

RolandR on 3/11/03 at 14:28 (112564)

Thank you Dr. Wander,

I will continue what I am doing, and look into your suggestions. I have not been victim of rash, but the ball of my foot does seem to get a bit sensitive at times. It is as if it loses some of its 'callous like' (please excuse the highly technical term) quality.

Again, thank you for your interest and assistance.

Roland