Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doctor's Recommendation

Posted by Brian K on 3/10/03 at 14:54 (112449)

I saw my doctor today and he confirmed my suspicion that I've developed plantar fasciitis. His recommendation was:

- no running or jogging;
- continue yoga, walking, and low-impact aerobics with weights, as long as the activity causes no pain in the heel area;
- stretch before exercise;
- theraputic dose of NSAID: 2 Aleve, twice per day, for at least three weeks;
- consider using a heel cup for walking and other athletic activity (except for the yoga, of course).

Does anyone have any reason that I should be concerned about following this advice?

Re: Doctor's Recommendation

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/10/03 at 15:02 (112450)

Brian:

The advice is basically sound but I have one concern. Unless your plantar fasciitis is acute plantar fasciitis, that regimin is not likely to bring the problem to resolution. It is best to treat plantar fasciitis via conservative modalities but aggressively early on. The reason is to prevent the problem from becoming chronic; a problem encountered by many of the posters on this board.
Ed

Re: Doctor's Recommendation

Brian K on 3/10/03 at 17:33 (112473)

Could you please be more specific, with regard to what you mean by 'conservative modalities but aggressively.'