Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar faciitis

Posted by Dennis T on 3/11/03 at 09:35 (112529)

I'm 31, with recent foot pain diagnosed as plantar faciitis, I have to wear steel toe boots and walk or stand on concrete for 8-10+ hours a day.
I'm not overweight, I don't run or play sports, I told my doctor that it was work comp related, and he told me that they were not going to cover it because ' it was like a cavity, some people get it and some don't'.
Is there any help out there to convince the work comp ins. to cover this?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Dennis

Re: plantar faciitis

Richard, C.Ped on 3/11/03 at 12:23 (112551)

the only time that I have had it covered by Workers comp..is when it was related to an accident.
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 3/11/03 at 12:24 (112552)

Check your current insurance to see if custom foot orthotics are covered...if you have met deductables...you never know. If you do not know how, or what to ask for, please let me know. I will gladly check for you.
Richard

Dennis T on 3/11/03 at 12:38 (112554)

I don't have insurance to fall back on, the work comp ins agent asked me though, by the way he called the day after I was diagnosed to tell me standing was'nt a injury, probably not, but standing, walking, kneeling on concrete and climbing on trucks and ladders for 8-10+ hours a day in steel toe boots might be.
Thanks,
Dennis T
(email removed)

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/11/03 at 14:32 (112565)

Dennis:

There is a lot of variation from state to state as to the manner in which plantar fasciitis is considered for coverage as a work related disease. One would expect doctors in your area to be familiar with the workers comp. system in your state. You may want to consider a second opinion as a lot of doctors don't want to take on a worker's comp. case if they will have to fight the 'system.' It also may help to consult an attorney who specializes in Worker's Comp. Such attorneys may be able to tell you if they have had similar cases and may know docs who are willing to go to battle with the system if needed.
Ed

BrianG on 3/11/03 at 15:57 (112572)

Dr Ed is right, you need a lawyer. It also will help if you first reported it as an injury. This would apply to your doctor, your supervisor, etc. In my state (MA) you only have 7 days to report to as an injury. Of course, this is why we have lawyers!!!

Good luck
BrianG

PS: Document everything, including pain.!!! If this turns into a long term injury, you'll thank yourself (and me too :*)

Dennis T on 3/12/03 at 08:31 (112637)

Thanks Dr. Ed and Brian for all your help, I have been documenting everthing, and I've contacted a lawyer who specializes in work comp cases.
Their website had some FAQ's, in it, it states if something you do at work causes you pain or injury and causes you dificulty in doing your job it has to be covered under work comp, even if they're not dirrectly responsible.
I've read most of the threads, and I am also shocked that this is so hard to get covered under work comp, why hav'nt the doc's took a stand with us to tell the Ins. Co.'s this IS work related!
The Podiatrist I saw really got my goat, I told him that I have to wear steel toe boots and walk or stand on conctete, work off of ladders, and climb on and of trucks all day 8-10+ hrs a day, he pointed to the carpeted floor and said ' thats concete under there and I don't have it' How dare he even TRY to compare what he does to my situation!! He walks around in his cushioned SHOES on concrete cushioned by carpet, it might be thin carpet, but it is a lot better than bare concrete. He sits at his desk or on a stool while examining his patients, I'll bet he is'nt on his feet nearlly half of his day. I'm lucky if I get to sit a half hour in my day.
Who's side is he on?? And if it is'nt mine, can I trust him with my painful recovery? He strapped my foot, and when I asked about work, he said I should'nt have any problems working, wear it for 4 days and don't get it wet, and come back in a weak, Goodbye. I'll be looking for a different doc!!
Thanks Again,
Dennis

Hayley K. on 3/26/03 at 15:58 (114700)

Hi, i would like to know the treatment for Plantar Facilitis. The exact exercises and what to do EXACTLY...thank you.

Hayley K. on 3/26/03 at 16:00 (114701)

Well i'm sorry to hear that David but i hope all is well, im sorry i can be much help to you but keep you spirts high...may god be with you.
Newunda

john h on 3/26/03 at 18:51 (114713)

Hayley: It is all right here. Start with Scotts book on this site and read the many post of what has worked for many people. Understand there is no quick cure and some exercises will be worse than no exercise or stretch. After you doing some of the reading you can be more specific because there are so many options and people respond different to the options.

Bev N on 3/27/03 at 09:46 (114755)

Also click on Julie's yoga exercises, they are great for PF.