Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fourth week post ESWT

Posted by Rosemary on 3/12/03 at 09:41 (112640)

Now into my fourth week following ESWT. First week really convinced it had helped, first morning pain almost absent. The second and third weeks had me worried, pain very much present on first steps, and foot generally uncomfortable the rest of day, periodic tingling and sharp pains. Yesterday had a very good day, and today is even better. Woke up with very little sensation, by the third step it was gone. Going for massages on my calfs and lower back two times a week, and only wearing my new (120.00) new balance sneakers, minus the orthodics. For the first time in two weeks, I am feeling optomistic. This site so helpful, utilizing many of the suggestions is a lifesafer. Thanks.

Re: Fourth week post ESWT

Scott Reeves on 3/13/03 at 01:19 (112716)

That's great to here! So happy for you. I am about two weeks behind you in the rehab. My second week started off the same - I had some bad days. It was better today, but I am feeling it right now. It comes and goes. Hopefully, it will go away more and more and find a vacation home in the Bahamas.

I am wearing expensive running shoes also - but I wear my orthotic on the non-ESWT foot and a big pad in the ESWT foot. I am still having problems with my non-ESWT foot that had surgery two years ago, but hey, one foot at a time right?

Thanks for the updates. To know the road ahead, ask those coming back.

Massages sound yummy!

- scott

Jerry F on 3/15/03 at 04:29 (113059)

I would suggest you keep wearing your orthodics always!

Rosemary on 3/15/03 at 11:46 (113080)

Hi Jerry, thanks for the advice. Regarding the orthotics, this is a tough call and not one I am entirely sure about. My custom made orthotic was of the hard kind, helped my gait considerably but at times I really feel it was too hard of a service for the heel. For the foot, I found that the gel pads really worked bettter. The problem is I have also acquired a back problem, which means an orthotic which adjusts my gait is better for my back. Now I am considering getting another orthotic, but of the soft kind. This is really a trial and error experience, because the PF often involves so many areas of the body, one finds themselve treating two or three conditions at once.