Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ruptured plantar fascia

Posted by Bob B on 3/12/03 at 13:17 (112665)

My Surgeon says I have a completely ruptured plantar fascia. He says what I have is basically a 'non-surgical' PF release. I am wearing custom orthotics and they allow me to at least walk. I am experiencing extreme pain in the area just behind the toes. I have searched and searched and can not find any information on the condition, or even what this condition is called. He says it will get less painful with time. Can you point me to some information on this condition?
Thank you
Bob B

Re: ruptured plantar fascia

SteveG on 3/12/03 at 16:01 (112674)

Bob - this have been discussed a few times on the board. You can do a search under 'ruptured plantar fascia', 'rupture of the fascia', 'tearing of the fascia', etc

Re: ruptured plantar fascia

BrianG on 3/12/03 at 17:15 (112682)

Hi Bob,

Just wondering why you are in extreme pain? Haven't you told your doctor how much it hurts? Or are you an iron man, who wants to tough it out? There are numerous good pain meds for acute pain.

Good luck, and get some rest, ice too.
BrianG, not a doc

Re: bryan

Mona on 3/12/03 at 17:42 (112684)

Several times you mention pain meds. On another post you said you wouldn't have surgery and you would deal with your situation with pain meds. How do you get the doctor to prescribe pain meds. We're talking about real pain meds right? Not anti-inflamm's?!? Do you have to search for the right dr. How do you find a dr with the right skills and the right understanding of your pain. I had pf release and nerve neurectomy (4wks postop). When I called my dr to tell him how much pain I was in and wanted to know what to do (i didn't even hint to pain pills) he started sounding like a parent. He prescribed me ambien so I could sleep (i hadn't sleep well in 2 nights)! So what do I do with the pain when I'm awake? He knows I can't take anti inflamm's because I have ibs and several other stomach conditions. OK I was not happy and I'm thinking of not even returning to him. That is if I can find another doctor to release me off light work duty. I've been in tears for a week now. I'm thinking of finding a pain management dr. If I get a chance to request a pain med what would U recommend?

Bob B on 3/12/03 at 18:04 (112686)

Mona, do you have a totally ruptured plantar fascia? Or is it just damaged?
Bob B

BrianG on 3/12/03 at 20:32 (112699)

Hi Mona,

As you noticed, I am a big proponent for pain meds, for people in chronic pain. I'm one of those people who has suffered 'more pain' than most, ever since I was a kid. The reseachers right now are looking into why some people can tolerate pain, more than others.

For most people, I would recommend a good, compassionate chronic pain clinic, or doctor. You can get a start by looking on this web site: http://www.pain.com
Scroll to the bottom of the main page and you will see a link to a pain clinic in your area. You can also use search engines to find pain clinics.

In my particular case, I had a Pod who treated me very conservatively. Slowly, but by the book. Finally, after years, he told me there was nothing else he could do for me. I begged that man for pain meds for at least years, and the most I ever got from him was 2 scripts for Percodan. He was not going to prescribe, period!!! I belonged to an HMO, and I was kind of limited as to what to do next.

I then started working with my primary doctor. I inundated him with printouts from the Net, explaing that people who took narcotics for pain, were not addicts. It took at least 2 more years, of begging, crying, pleading, reasoning, you name it. I can reember the day he decided to treat my pain. I had told him I had a whole medicine cabinet full of junk, that was eating away at my stomach and liver, but not touching my pain. I told him I didn't think I could continue at work much longer.

He looked at me and said 'You know Brian, I have 3-4 patients who are in chronic pain exactlly like you, and I have decided to try and make your life more bearable'!!! This was an HMO setting, where every doctor in the building belonged to the HMO, which also owned the building and pharmacy. I'm sure he had to run it by his management, but he is a good christian doctor, and I really believe that he could feel my pain.

So, thats my story, and you have to realize that every story will be different. Some of the things I did was to keep a pain journal, I also documented for him how the pain had effected my life. With this documentation, I think he felt a bit of safety, having all of this material in my file. I have a verbal commitment with him. I will only get my pain pills from him, and he will take care of my pain for as long as he is able to. I have gone out of my way to ensure my pills have never been lost, or diverted. I never ask for extra meds before it's time (every 30 days).

I now get along very good with my doc, which was not always the story. Good luck with your search, and just remember, not all pain clinics are comfertable prescibing pain meds. Some are only in it for the money, and will try to keep you coming back for blocks, for as long as they can get away with it. I do admit that blocks work for some people, but I don't think they are all that good for PF. At least that is what I have read on this forum. Even my doctor told me he would not subject me to them, as he hadn't had much luck with them, on his patients.

Spend some time getting to know your doc. Ensure that he knows exactlly how the pain has effected you life. There are many, many doctors out there treating chronic pain with narcotics, you just have to work to find them (as obviously not many will advertise, except at http://www.pain.com and a few other web sites

If I can help you in any other way, like additional web sites, just let me know. Help is available for you, somehow we just have to get you and the right doctor connected!

Good luck, & sorry for the mini-editorial :*)
BrianG

PS: As for recommending a pain med, I'm really not an expert. I know a lot of people start out with Vicodan, Percodan or Percoset. All are for acute pain (and will probably work), but not something you would want to take for years. There are quite a few opiates that have no asprin, or Tylanol in them. That is probably where you would end up, if you continued on the medication for a longer period of time. I'm kind of reluctant to name some of these meds at this time.