Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

had eswt 3 times in 4 years with relief..but pain returns!

Posted by rekha s on 3/13/03 at 12:49 (112764)

hello....I have been suffering with PF since about 1997, After 2-3 miserable years, decided to give ESWT a shot in 2000 went for about 2 treatments ..and it worked...took the pain from a 9 to a 1 within weeks....I again had a reacurrance in 2001 so I went for another round of treatment only in the heel that hurt the most...the right one....and again....was almost pain free....after a couple of weeks....

but just recently my pain has come back it is now about a 4...still not that bad as before...but I just do not understand what is the core of my foot problem....? What is causing the relapse..obviously there is some bio mechanical problem. I just wish I could figure it out and rectify it once and for all...

I have started walking around the block for exercise..could that be it?not that long just 1/2 hour...I thought that was sensible....

The pain is not as bad as before...it is like a 4 or 5....and I have been resting the foot....hoping it will subside...if not I will go get ESWT again within few weeks...

Re: had eswt 3 times in 4 years with relief..but pain returns!

Mike W on 3/13/03 at 14:37 (112778)

Hello Rekha,

I believe ESWT can be a very effective tool for P.F., however it does not address the underlying cause.

For many people the underlying cause is short tight flexor muscles/tendons.
The biggest problem I see is that many of the traditional P.F. exercises are poor choices because they target the wrong muscles and are performed in a weight bearing position.

Please check out http://www.foottrainer.com , click Plantar Fasciitis then click incorrect exercises. This will give you my opinion on why many of them are poor.

I believe the best way to address short tight flexor muscles is to leave them alone and instead build up the length and strength of the opposing extensor muscles.

I hope this information helps you.

Regards,

Mike W