Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

the artist's voice...

Posted by marie on 3/13/03 at 15:53 (112798)

Just for your entertainment http://www.poetsagainstthewar.org/

Re: the artist's voice...

Carole C in NOLA on 3/13/03 at 16:05 (112803)

You see to me, well, I do not agree with them when they say they are against the war.

Still I defend their right to say it peacefully and non-destructively and I'm glad to live in a country where we can all say what we think. I would even like them if they felt the same way about me expressing my opinion (as you do, Marie).

If/when we are at war with Iraq, I would regard some of this as unpatriotic and I would not feel as comfortable with it at all. We need to stand behind our country and our President especially at a time of war.

Right now, there is still some slight hope for a peaceful solution for at least about four more days or so, and our country is not yet at war. I too hope that a peaceful solution can be found to accomplish ALL of our goals without war, in an acceptable timeframe.

Carole C

marie on 3/13/03 at 16:26 (112804)

I really like you Carole. Well said.

marie on 3/13/03 at 16:50 (112805)

Just one little quote, 'Art is not propaganda it is the truth.' John F. Kennedy.

These poems come from around the world not just the U.S. Read a few if you dare. When the site was uploaded Sam Hamill didn't realize how many people from around the world would respond. I think the last count was over 13,000 poems submitted.

BGCPed on 3/13/03 at 17:07 (112810)

I am not trying to take away from JFK qoute but that is just that an observation. I believe it was Walt Whittman that said 'the law is an ass' That can be true but it doesnt mean all lawyers or laws are a**

Poems being a form of spoken art can be interpreted just like any other art. What the creator feels and what the listener hears can be different. To say that art is not propaganda but truth as it applies to anti war poems is an opinion.

I did read some and I would call some of them abstract spoken art from a factual standpoint.
I think the lawyer for that girl that attacked the 9-11 display and assaulted the lady that made it should call what she did performance art. Maybe get her off on the 1st amendment.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/13/03 at 17:09 (112811)

One has the right to be wrong in a democracy. Art is a form of expression and as such, it is merely a reflection of the views of the artist, right or wrong. Art can and has been used for propaganda purposes historically.
Hitler used the music of Wagner as a propaganda item. Totalitarian states often place stringent controls on artists as a restraint to free expression which is an anathema to those who wish to control the hearts and minds of their followers. Most Cuban artists supported Castro before he came to power. Castro jailed most of his supporters in the artistic community after he came to power.

marie on 3/13/03 at 17:29 (112814)

I know. Isn't it wonderful that we live in a country were are artists are free to express their opinions in the form of art. I love some of the poems...others, well I don't read because I have the freedom not to.

Peace to you and smile it's Thursday evening.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/13/03 at 21:41 (112898)

I totally retract what I said, in your case (but not in the general case). I don't care what you are talking about, politics or not; I think very poorly of ANYONE who would swamp the board like this. You have started five political threads in a row tonight, and it is only 9:30.

Please stop acting like a vandal!!!!!!

Carole C

Re: Yes, Yes!

marie on 3/14/03 at 06:42 (112916)

Ed and I got to swapping last night. As he said I can post as I please. It's all about my freedom of speech. You see I don't think poorly of Ed and Brian. Ed posts political stuff here daily. I actually read it. Why don't you say something to him. I actually like Ed and Brian. Our conversations allow me to have a distraction from my medical condition so you see it is part of the healing.