Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hiroshima Peace Museum

Posted by marie on 3/13/03 at 19:35 (112843)

http://www.csi.ad.jp/ABOMB/index.html Take a virtual tour!

When I was in Japan I watched grown men reduced to tears when they toured this museum. One very macho guy who thought the Peace Museum wouldn't change his mind about war.....he spent the rest of our trip making paper cranes to send to the museum. He had a profound experience. So the next time you want to take more than just a vacation consider going to Hiroshima. You may find something there you didn't expect. The staff at the museum was very polite and so truely kind to each visitor. Never once did any one of them insight blame. It was a healing and eye opening experience for all the American teachers who toured the museum.

marie

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum

BGCPed on 3/13/03 at 20:39 (112867)

Do they do a sister share program with Pearl Harbor?

marie on 3/13/03 at 20:50 (112872)

Many Japanese people visit Pearl Harbor much for the same reason we vist Hiroshima. So yes visiting Pearl Harbor is part of the healing process. Did you visit the site and go through it or is this just a random comment?

It doesn't hit you until you are there. Believe me I was stunned at the change in some of my fellow education ambassadors.

BGCPed on 3/13/03 at 21:00 (112875)

I would be stunned also. I am not saying it would not be a moving event. I dont think war is cool or great. Point being we were ambushed in WW2. we gave several warnings about the bomb. They ignored it. We let one go and they still didnt believe so we did another. That stopped it.

It was mean and terrible and it actually slowed the war and further death. The idea of a war is to make a country or regime say uncle. It is either over property,security, beliefs, resources or a combination of them.

Another way to look at it is to be angry that there are rulers out there that thumb their nose at human rights and rule of law. I would be pissed at guys like Saddam for going out of their way to force an incident. I also thank God that we are at least powerful enough and have the fortitude to FINALLY do something about it.

marie on 3/13/03 at 21:10 (112882)

Did you visit the site?

BGCPed on 3/13/03 at 21:13 (112884)

No I didnt but I was just commenting on it form the perspective that there are two sides to every war. It goes without saying that war is mean, rotten, dangerous and people will die. I also think that anger should be directed at the root cause and the despots that spawn it.

I would love to hear you tell me what is in the museum and I dont mean that in a sarcastic manner. I think we should be reminded of history. What people do with the history is what matters.

marie on 3/13/03 at 21:18 (112886)

Go to the site. Check out the photos and read the stories. They remind us of our simple humnaity. We're allin this together. Yeah, I like living in a country that is mighty but we have turned into a global community....talking as we are now wasn't possible some years ago. Isn't the internet amazing.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/13/03 at 21:19 (112887)

Marie:

I visited the site. I did not go through all the material but will re-visit the site.

Conservatives are no less horrified by war than liberals. Conservatives do not want war any more than liberals. The decision to go to war is one of the most horrible and difficult decisions that a leader must make. A horrible act is being chosen for the purpose of avoiding an even more hoorible situation. War and conflict has always been part of the human experience and hopefully, a day will come when that fact is no longer. It takes courage, vision and wisdom on the part of a leader to be willing to make such a decision. It is a decision that the public can have difficulty with although 71% of the American people are behind President Bush on his decision with respect to Iraq.
Ed

marie on 3/13/03 at 21:23 (112890)

I don't think I ever said I am against war when it is needed I just don't see why we're in such a rush. It doesn't fly with me.

john h on 3/14/03 at 10:00 (112938)

I cannot even imagine how President Truman must have felt in making the decision to drop the first atom bomb. However one must remember in WWII that all the major cities in Europe were bombed to the ground. The Germans begin all this by destroying cities as they marched through Europe and bombed London. Many more civilians were killed with conventional bombs in WW II than with the atomic bombs. More recently the public has come to expect wars without casualities. Gulf War I was indeed an exception. When a nation is faced with being overrun they will pull out all the stops and fight with any and everything they have.Israel's position is clearly known by those who would invade them. I think they would destroy the entire Mideast before they would accept rule by the Arab states. They in fact have the nuclear capability to do just this and the Arab states understand this. If Saddam would launch a missile with anthrax or some other agent that would kill tens of thousands of people, unlike us, Israel will respond in kind.Saddam has now moved missiles within range of Israel so if war starts he may or may not use these against Isreal. If Saddam is left in power and he continues his buildup of weapons of mass destruction I think most people think it will only be a matter of time until someday we see a mushroom cloud over Israel. Saddam is not going away on his own and you can put off facing him now but at some point someone will be forced to face a much stronger and more aggressive Iraq. In Little Rock last night we had a gathering of thousands all with signs and flags supporting our troops. You want see this on TV. Having been in a war with protest going on while I was flying daily into battle I will assure you it was certainly demorilizing to me and my buddies to see these protest. I will also assure you it gave comfort to the enemy. Yes I recognize the right to protest but when our senators and actors show up in Bagdad and are used for propaganda it is a low point for the troops in the field and only encourages Saddam..

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/14/03 at 10:49 (112948)

John:

There comes a time that all must stand up firmly for what is right. There has been much time for discussion on this -- years. The polls have consistently shown a large percentage of Americans in favor of taking military action on Iraq (71%); some will go kicking and screaming to the end. Perhaps when we send 250,000 inspectors with desert uniforms and M1 tanks through Iraq and they uncover the items that the 'doubters' need, those opinions will change.
Ed

marie on 3/14/03 at 11:17 (112952)

Go to the Hiroshima Peace Museum. There is no protest there. There is no discussion about who is right or wrong. It is what it is. If you don't see with your own eyes the innocents of war will forever remain the cat in the box. No one here would ever disrespect our soldiers. I promise you this.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/14/03 at 18:50 (113017)

Marie:
I have been to that web site and will revisit it. About 2/3 of my family died in WW2 so I am well versed on the horrors of war. If we could go back in time and change history, preemptive action against Hitler could have saved the lives of many millions. We now have another chance to stop a tyrant before he goes nuclear and can kill millions.
Ed

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum ---- you are mistaken

Steve P on 3/14/03 at 19:50 (113024)

Marie -- You are incorrect that 'there is no discussion about who is right and wrong'.

I have been to the Horoshima museum & it is used as a propaganda site by the so-called international peace movement, a group of leftists who are intent on disarming the US.

Maybe you & I were there at different times, but you are incorrect.

Re: Hiroshima Peace Museum ---- you are mistaken

marie on 3/14/03 at 20:55 (113031)

I did not experience that.

marie