Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot Pain & numbness

Posted by Bobby W on 3/14/03 at 14:37 (112983)

I have PF and a lot of pain with it including numbness in my toes and feet. I also have a lot of itching and have to massage my feet a lot. Can you offer any help or advise?

Re: Foot Pain & numbness

DRZ on 3/14/03 at 22:02 (113041)

This could be pf with TTS. There may be lower back involvment. You could have what is called an neuroma. What has your podiatrist told you some far?

Bobby W on 3/15/03 at 14:43 (113087)

He told me he did not know what was causing my numbness. I have never heard of anyone else with PF having numbness. Help me out a little - What is TTS? What is Neuroma? Thanks.

DRZ on 3/16/03 at 12:48 (113127)

Hi

TTS is called taral tunnel syndrome. This is like carpal tunnel syndrome. IT is where the nerve is trapped in the inside of the ankle.
Neuroma is a pinched nerve in between the toes. All can cause numbness.

Sharon W on 3/16/03 at 13:03 (113128)

Bobby,

I just noticed your earlier post where you asked about itching. I've had tarsal tunnel syndrome, and I did have a couple different kinds of itching, but it was rare but it wasn't the typical kind that you feel on the outside of the skin.

Dr. Z could give you an expert opinion on this -- but I think itching can be a sign of a nerve(s)not firing correctly. It doesn't seem to be common with tarsal tunnel syndrome, but patients with peripheral neuropathy quite often complain of itching -- either a sensation like bugs are crawling on them, or the deeper itch I mentioned. (I was recently diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy too - after a year when the nerve conduction tests were repeated - so my occasional itching may not have been TTS after all.)

Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/17/03 at 14:38 (113220)

Sharon:

The tricky time is early in the course of TTS, before symptoms are blatant. Patients can note intermittent tingling, paresthesia, dysesthesia (things don't feel like they should). Also, early TTS can mimick symptoms consistent with multiple neuromas.
Ed