Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MARTIN SHEEN QUESTION

Posted by BGCPed on 3/15/03 at 08:12 (113064)

This is the question. If you noticed ( I dont think many did ) The ads for visa with Martin Sheen have been pulled. Visa claimed it had nothing to do with his recent public statements regarding Bush admin. Just wondered what the personal views are on this. I would say it is safe to assume that it did have something to do with it. If so then do they use pub opinion pol to decide or what?

Re: MARTIN SHEEN QUESTION

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/15/03 at 12:57 (113084)

BG:

As you know, I don't pay a lot of attention to those in the entertainment industry so I tend to ignore their rants. Their 'stature' is based on popularity so if they take actions which reduce that popularity, advertisers will suspect that their show ratings will go down and reduce advertising exposure accordingly. I suspect that advertisers are making a financial decision for the most part.
Ed

BGCPed on 3/15/03 at 15:09 (113088)

Do you think he will take the ethical high road? Think he will ask Larry King or someone to let him on so he can denounce Visas decision? Maybe accuse them of blacklisting? I think if you use your postion to mouth views, especially when you are accusing others of moral transgression you should be willing to stick to your guns.

My hunch is since Visa made a good business decision and it affected his pocket book we may hear less of him.

john h on 3/15/03 at 18:23 (113097)

I think it was day before yesterday one of the Dixie Chicks has some bad comments about Bush in a song. Today she appologized as she got a lot of negative feedback especially from Nashville and Texas where she is from. Some of the Hollywood conservative are now starting to weigh in on the war. I was watching Dennis Miller the other night and he is very articulate. He did not call anyone in Hollywood bad names and said most of Hollywood really do not care about politics one way or another. He also said they all know they have to be careful as if you offend enough people you cannot get a job as no one will go to your movies. He did say he thought Sean Penn made a bad mistake by going to Bagdad and could effect his box office draw.

BGCPed on 3/15/03 at 22:11 (113102)

I think Sean Penn himself has effected his box office draw. Not due to Iraq trip but just the fact he sucks and his movies for the last several years have flopped. Lastly I think his role in Sam I am was more articulate than his appearance on Larry King after his fact finding mission to Iraq

marie on 3/15/03 at 22:24 (113104)

For once I agree with you Brian. Sean Penn would do well to find another career. I did like the character he portrayed in Sam I am alot better than anytime I've seen him as himself on any talk show.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/16/03 at 15:12 (113138)

BG:

There are two radio disc jockeys in Los Angeles who have a show, the 'John and Ken Show.' They are not that well known. They criticized Sheen for his stance and, in return, Sheen threatened to sue them for slander. I don't know exactly what they said but there are too many that think free speech is a one way street.

People in showbusiness are admired for their entertainment skills but if they want to use their popularity as a platform for their political views, they need to be willing to accept the consequences. I don't know what Sheen will do but I guess we will see where his priorities are.
Ed