Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rachmaninov or Rock and Roll

Posted by marie on 3/16/03 at 10:37 (113122)

We went to the Fort Wayne Philharmonic last night. They are doing a series of Russian music. Last night they had a guest pianist from Russia, Olga Kern. Wow! She is only 26 years old and already Van Cliburn Gold Medal Winner. She with the Philharmonic performed Rochimaninov's Piano Concerto in D Minor,opus.30. She is touring the country. If you enjoy Rachmaninov I'd suggest seeing her perform......Incredible.

What kind of music do you like?

Re: Rachmaninov or Rock and Roll

Sharon W on 3/16/03 at 11:40 (113124)

I'm mostly Rock n' Roll but my husband is a classical and jazz man... so we'll check into it. Thanks!

Sharon

marie on 3/16/03 at 11:59 (113125)

I am mostly rock and roll too. My kids are into classical music. Sometimes we argue because I want to listen to Aerosmith and they want Mozart.

My kids are finally exploring sixties and seventies music. I went to a coffee house on my oldest son's college campus for open mic night. My oldest is a classical pianist but he is now learning to enjoy the Beatles. He and a freind played 'All You Need Is Love'. I was surprised because the whole coffee house of kids sang along and knew every word. The Beatles are timeless.

Sharon W on 3/16/03 at 13:08 (113129)

Yeah, my girls are into 'oldies' too. But they include 80's music in that category... Makes me feel OLD!

Sharon

marie on 3/16/03 at 13:27 (113131)

A few years ago I was taking my dad to visit my mom at the hospital. On the way there I asked him what he wanted to listen to on the radio and he said to find a oldies statiopn so I did. After listening to it for about fifteen minutes he said I don't know any of these songs.....I said well dad you know your old when the oldies station is palying music ya don'teven recognize. We had a good laugh about it.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/16/03 at 15:19 (113140)

Marie:

Most music listening is during the commute but it is a hard choice between talk radio (Rush, Medved, Savage, Ingram, Michael Reagan) and the oldies rock station.
Ed

marie on 3/16/03 at 15:27 (113142)

Talk Radio...you listen to all the same people my husband listens to. He also likes Imus in the Morning and he use to listen to Dr. Laura.

john h on 3/16/03 at 18:48 (113155)

It is all perspective. If you are 25 then 80's music is probably oldies.
Sometimes I like 60's music and sometimes I like Rachmaninov. by the way do you know that Rachmaninov is considered the most difficult piano music to master?

Richard, C.Ped on 3/16/03 at 19:35 (113159)

I'm stuck in the late 80's and early 90's music wise. I'm going to blow any little bit of credibility I might have...but I was a metal head in high school..until I was 24...that is when I met my wife. haha

I need to post a picture of this...maybe. I played guitar in a metal band for awhile...with hair past my chest. haha. Oh lord what was I thinking. You would not know that if you saw me now.

I love the talk radio thing myself. Mostly as background noise, although that can get on my nerves every now and then. I also listen to our local 'gospel' station..only when there is a good speaker talking.

I know the thread is about music...but to know me a little better...my favorite TV show is CSI. I love that stuff. Also Patricia Cornwell books...when I have time. I am about half way through 'Black Notice'. In the mornings with my daughter....Dooley and Pals and Arthur are my favorites. haha. Clifford the Big Red Dog is a good one too.
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 3/16/03 at 19:38 (113160)

I forgot to mention...when I was doing the 'speed metal' thing...most of the licks I used were based upon classical music. That started me liking quite a bit if classical.
Richard

marie on 3/16/03 at 19:55 (113165)

Yes. My 18 year old plays several Rachmaninov pieces. (He's my brainy child) Rachmninov is his favorite. But the Piano Concerto No. 3 in D minor, opus 30 is out of his league. He has memorized several sections. Our piano has been pretty quiet sense he went off to College (a whole mile away). He also plays trumpet, mellophone and french horn. He plays taps at funerals when the American Legion calls him. He did play piano at a local restaurant in the main dining room but it's a tough economy and he got laid off. My 15 year old son plays clarinet in marching band and concert band and messes around with an old violin. He is also in the bell choir at our church and loves it. He is considering music education. My husband plays guitar...he's very good. I am the only one who doesn't play an instrument at our house. I count on the guys to keep me entertained.

R C on 3/16/03 at 19:57 (113168)

Rachmaninoff all the way! I heard the D minor concerto live recently. The soloist was a young California kid name Nakamatsu. It was a terrific performance.

marie on 3/16/03 at 20:05 (113170)

My husband is probably a little older than you but he also played guitar in a band. Still plays. The kids laugh at the old photos. Long wild hair. He's pretty tame now. We were at a antique shop today and they had a bunch of old albums. My 18 year old is really into the Beatles so I bought him an old Beatle album for his birthday and my husband an ACDC album. My son's roomate at college is into heavy metal...Def Lepard and he plays guitar and classical cello. There is barely enough room to get to their beds between my son's keyboard, 2 guitars, an amp, and a cello. Across the hall another one of my sons freinds from India plays guitar...he doesn't like the Beatles but did a pretty good job of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps.' It's kinda fun to watch them go through this stage now.

What were your favorite heavy metal bands?

marie on 3/17/03 at 06:56 (113185)

I am new to classical music......my kids got me into it. I love it.