Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

More but different pain after ESWT

Posted by MegK on 3/16/03 at 19:29 (113158)

I had ESWT done two days ago. I still have aching pain on the inside of my arch back by my heel(my PF is the result of a severe groin injury and this is the area most affected). Can anyone say how long I will have this pain? At this point, I was more mobile (only fifteen minutes at a time, though) before the procedure.

Re: More but different pain after ESWT

DRZ on 3/16/03 at 19:49 (113161)

Most post-eswt will improve over a sixteen week period. Time is the key with eswt. Some pain will have pain for 8-12 weeks before seeing a dramatic reduction from their original pain. Have you discuss your pain with your eswt treating doctor. What did he tell you?

Rosemary on 3/16/03 at 19:51 (113162)

hI MEG, since your treatment was done only two days ago, you are still feeling the effects of the treatment. I am now into my fifth week, and I still experience periodic arch and back of heel pain, particularly if I am on my feet a lot. The first two weeks I rested quite a bit, used heat to promote circulation and was frequently tired. My advice to you at this point is to listen to your body, and when it says to rest, then rest. Reading the many posts re: this treatment, there are those who feel completely better immediately, and those of us who experience something different each week. My understanding is that it takes at least a few months. Hope this helps.

MegK on 3/16/03 at 19:56 (113167)

Am planning to call my Dr. tomorrow. I am thinking I should not increase walking beyond what I have done over the weekend, which means taking another day off of work. This seems to go against what I have read about ESWT.

MegK on 3/16/03 at 19:58 (113169)

Thank you Rosemary, your post helps.

Rosemary on 3/16/03 at 20:07 (113171)

Guess what Meg, I took one week off. Was lucky, ended up with an extra 2 days due to a snow storm, and really needed the rest. I went into the treatment exhausted from fighting the pain all the time, the treatment gave me a real reason to slow down and I did. Thankful that I did,it made the third week easier.

DRZ on 3/16/03 at 21:17 (113173)

Hi Meg,

I am confused. You are in more pain then before the ESWT procedure was done and you want to increase your walking. You should be decreasing your walking if you are having pain. Make sense?

MegK on 3/17/03 at 11:01 (113199)

Yes, it makes sense to decrease walking. Having the pain was confusing to me since everything I have read says that the pain decreases almost immediately and that I should not have to miss work. I spoke with my Dr.'s nurse today and she tells me it is not uncommon to have pain for a short period after the procedure. She tells me that my pain should begin to be less than it was prior to the procedure in a couple more days. Today the pain is about the same as it was for the PF, back to the stinging feeling. It's hard to stay off of it after three days of sitting.

candy on 3/19/03 at 13:37 (113480)

help I'm confused.I'm having this treatment on the 26 of March and was under impression I would have no pains and no problems only was told I had to wear gym shoes and no exercise for 6 weeks is this a mistake.Any input you have would be appreciated thanks Candy

Dr. Z on 3/19/03 at 14:42 (113502)

Most ESWT patients have very little pain post treatment. It is true with the no excercise for six weeks. What machine are you having treatment with?;
Are you having a local, IV , general anesthesia. ESWT is an excellent treatment. I am sure you will have a very postive experence

MegK on 3/19/03 at 15:47 (113515)

I think my case is fairly bad. Prior to the treatment my tolerance on my feet was about 15 minutes without pain and this is with orthotics, tape and good sneakers. This may have something to do with my current discomfort.

Re: More but different pain after ESWT-still bad

MK on 4/02/03 at 08:23 (115144)

Here I am at 2 weeks plus after the procedure. I can barely walk. I am off my foot as much as possible. At home I use a crutch to get around. At work I just try to not to leave my desk. I still have to keep my foot elevated. Should I be using crutches and not putting any weight on my foot? I called my Dr.s office yesterday about stopping any weight baring activity at 8:15AM and still have not heard back. Very frustrated at this point. Any guidance/help would be appreciated.