Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

rehab after pf surgery

Posted by Sharon F. on 3/18/03 at 05:32 (113278)

Dear Docs:

I'm a 40 yr. old female about 6 weeks post complete pf release. I have some hallux rigidus same foot, but we haven't dealt with that yet. I have been doing foot-strengthening exercises, calf raises, and riding my stationary bike for about 4 wks. The strength in my foot seems to have come back pretty well. However, I'm only slowly gaining strength when I do the calf raises. It seems that the achilles tendon is tight or weak. What is the relationship of the achilles tendon and the pf, what happens to the achilles after pf surgery, and am I doing the right exercise? I'm adding stair stepper, because that seems to really work the achilles and also stretch it when I use good form on the machine. I go to the doc in 2 wks for a check, and we will discuss plan for hallux rigidus. Thanks, Sharon F.

Re: rehab after pf surgery

DRZ on 3/18/03 at 06:50 (113282)

It appears that you have very little pain from your pf release. Is that correct? I only recommend non-weight bearing excercises . Adding the stair stepper could create along of pain and injury the healing of the pf release.
Before I can recommend excercises I need to know what the procedure was and how much activity and pain you are in

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/18/03 at 14:39 (113346)

Did your doc tell you what stage the hallux rigidus is in? What was the reason that your doc did not treat the hallux rigidus surgically at the same time as the plantar fascial release?

Sharon F. on 3/18/03 at 19:43 (113379)

Dear Ed: Thanks for the response, but Dr. Z was the first one to respond to my post, which was more about my achilles; would it be possible for him to finish what we started? Thanks, Sharon F.

Dr. Z on 3/19/03 at 18:31 (113545)

What did I forget ?. My point was to avoid the stair stepper. This is just alittle too much for post-pf surgery. Is this what we are talking about?

Sharon F. on 3/20/03 at 06:53 (113616)

Question was what is the effect of pf release on the achilles? The achilles seems tight and difficult to stretch. I am doing stretches and toe raises. Could the hallux rigidus play into this? Thanks, Sharon F.