Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Knot on heal

Posted by Benton M. on 3/18/03 at 08:27 (113292)

I have a knot on each heel, on the back of heel but not the bottom. I went to a podiatrist that took ex-rays and said my achilles tendon was extremely tight and tearing away from my heel. He reccommended a custom orthotic, my family doctor is not as convinced orthotics will help and has referred me to another podiatrist. My family doctor felt the knots were unusual and thought it might be a genetic problem. In my research, I have not seen these symptoms and both doctors feel it is not heel spurs, my question is have you seen these symptoms. I am 40 years old, over-weight but active, walk a good bit through golf, hunting etc.. These knots have been there as long as I can remember, but I have always done a great deal of walking through playing competitive golf since the age of eight and I thought these knots were just a callous. My pain started about 4 months ago and is worse when I first get up or have been sitting for a while. I have had two herniated disc for about 7 years and also torn ligaments in my left knee which is also the heel that is hurting. These other back and knee problems probably contributed to the problem as they have affected my walk by keeping my left foot slightly turned open. What do you think I should be looking for my doctors to diagnose. Please respond to my e-mail address.

Thank You

Re: Knot on heal

Dr. Z on 3/18/03 at 12:55 (113329)

Hi

This sounds like insertional achilles tendonitis. X-rays/ultrasound will help to evaluate the degree of injury. Treatment consists of physical therapy anti-inflamatory medications. If this fails to relive your pain ESWT is a very good treatment for you. If you need additional information please let me know