Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

An unofficial survey - How many of you have survival kits?

Posted by Kathy G on 3/18/03 at 11:08 (113313)

Hi All,

I'm just curious. How many of you actually have assembled survival kits as described at Ready.com? I have all the items but not in one place, although not a cell phone. I've been resisting buying one but maybe I should get one? Have any of you assembled everything and put it in one place? If so, where? I suppose the basement (in NH) would be the logical place.

For those of you with children away at college, what have you done? My daughter lives in an apartment on campus but she's over an hour away. Should we set up a meeting place?

This whole concept is quite hard for me to grasp on to as I am 53 and never knew anyone with a fallout shelter nor did we ever have civil defense drills where I lived. I think I missed it all by a few years. Even during the Cuban Missile Crisis, our town and my family didn't discuss it.

I'm wondering what the rest of you are doing.

Thanks,

Kathy

Re: An unofficial survey - How many of you have survival kits?

Kathy G on 3/18/03 at 11:08 (113314)

A correction, it's ready.gov. Sorry!

marie on 3/18/03 at 11:29 (113316)

Yes kathy we have assembled a survival kit. We selected our basement. We have enough food, H20, and medications for 3 days as suggested. We have it all together in case we have to grab it quick and leave. My son is in college. He has been to the ready.gov site so he can make informed decisions. We put water, crackers and peanut butter in the trunk of his car. Also gave each kid masks to keep in their book bag. We have 3 meeting places and phone numbers of contacts on the other side of the country. If all goes well and we never have to use it, we'll take a camping trip with the supplies. We are outdoorsy people so much of the stuff we already had.

marie

john h on 3/18/03 at 11:51 (113321)

I have a small store of survival supplies including water,MRE (military meals ready to eat), water proof matches, water purification tablets,medical supplies, small blankets in a package that will fit in your pocket, can opener, and other goodies. I have it all in one place where it can be quickly moved to an auto. There are a couple of excellent web sites that specialize in these supplies. Meals ready to eat have years of shelf life and have little packets that can actually heat them and are packaged with nutrition in mind. I have spen well under $100 for all these supplies and would be useful in many sorts of emergencies such as the ice storm that cut off our power and heat for 5 days.

marie on 3/18/03 at 17:51 (113361)

P.S. Don't forget your pets! They suggest to know were your pet carriers are and have a little food stashed away. However if my kittys don't cooperste they are on their own.

john h on 3/18/03 at 18:13 (113363)

Marie where ever I go my cats go and share whatever I have down to the last drop of water.

marie on 3/18/03 at 20:19 (113388)

I knew you wouldn't forget your kittys. Our house is so big that finding ours in any emergency could be tough. We have 14 rooms and our house is like a maze. We decided if we couldn't find them quick enough that we would leave a bag of food and plenty of H2O.

All of this talk scares me a little but I know that we should prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I have former students in the FBI and they are telling me I should follow that advice, I trust them so I will.

good night and God Bless, marie