Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recovery time from PF release

Posted by Terri S on 3/19/03 at 21:17 (113580)

Doc,
I am scheduled for Plantar fascia release surgery (not endoscopic). I have MRI proven severe fascitis. My doc told me that I would be weight bearing immediately after surgery and that I could go back to work in 2 weeks. BTW I work a desk job. I am concerned about what I've read on this board (NWB for 6 weeks???). I need to make sure the information he gave me is correct and my doc is being honest with me. I do trust him, but I'm trusting him less as I read the posts on this board. Please give me your opinion. Thanks

Re: Recovery time for a cheilectomy

Dr. Z on 3/19/03 at 14:37 (113500)

eight weeks. I have seen recovery within two weeks and some up to six months. Recovery is defined as back in most shoes with very little pain, swelling and you have the ability to do most activity

Re: Recovery time for a cheilectomy

Dr. David S. Wander on 3/19/03 at 17:46 (113535)

First, it would be best to ask your surgeon these questions. As a general rule, recovery time from a cheilectomy is relatively quick. Since the bone around the joint is being 'cleaned up', and no osteotomy is being performed (surgical fracture and realignment of the bone), you should be back in a supportive shoe or sneaker in approximately 2 weeks. Once again, this is up to the preference of the surgeon. I like to have patients mobile as soon as possible to maintain range of motion and prevent scar tissue. I'm sure you'll do fine, just make sure to follow your surgeon's instructions. Naturally, everyone heals differently and recovery depends on what your 'normal' activities involve. If you are very active, you may feel more restricted.

The answer to the second part of your question is that hallux rigidus/limitus does not have to affect both sides. It depends on the cause of the hallux rigidus. Sometimes it can be caused by trauma, prior surgery, foot biomechanics, arthritis, etc., so it depends onthe cause.

Re: Recovery time from PF release

Rose M. on 3/20/03 at 12:48 (113648)

I am also having the open release surgery. My doctor told me the recovery should be about 8 weeks. I will be in a boot able to ambulate very soon after surgery. He is also doing the other foot at the same time, which hass a neuroma. I am interested in the comments also. Maybe mostly the folks on this site are the ones who have had a bad experience and a longer recovery period for various reason. I don't know. I do know that I was scared to death after being on this site for a while and felt ever so much better after talkling to my surgeon a few days ago and hearing the other side.

Dr. Z on 3/20/03 at 12:54 (113649)

Hi

Having open release surgery can take up to six month to one year for complete healing. A neuroma is on the average eight weeks. Having both feet can take longer. Healing time is always an average. Your surgeon will tell you this and that some people for what ever reason can take up to six month to one year for complete healing. Does this make sense to you. Everyone is different and you may take up to six months to one years for your open release to stop healing

Mona on 3/22/03 at 20:20 (113942)

Terri my doc told me I could be weight bearing immediately after surgery also. He also stated I would have a shoe on in 3wks. I'm 5 an half wks post op and I am still non weight bearing an in a very great deal of pain still. I don't even want to think about breathing on my foot much less walking. I returned to work a week after surgery because my doc made it sound like my recovery would be a breeze. If I knew what I know now I would of waited to get my finances in order an took at least 6 weeks off.

Eric E on 10/10/03 at 22:37 (133579)

Rose,
Now that it has been 6 months or so, how is your neuroma healing?
My wife had neuroma surgery on both feet eight weeks ago and is getting nervous about the success.
BTW - she had PF EPF surgery in 2/03...still not sure how much it helped.
Keeping our fingers (and toes) crossed!
Thanks for any feedback on your neuroma experience.