Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Defense Budget

Posted by john h on 3/20/03 at 18:32 (113670)

I was looking at our National Defense Budget for the past ten years and the results were really supprising to me. Our last Budget was 3.1% of Gross National Prodct. Throughout most of the 90's it ran in well in excess of 5%. Some nations have a defense budget in the 20-30% range. Nations like Iraq and North Korea would be examples of countries who spend most of their money on weapons.

Re: Defense Budget

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/20/03 at 18:48 (113671)

We just have way too much to protect to place such little emphasis in the area of defense. We had an eight year party under Clinton/Gore and adopted a false sense of security. Obviously, we now have a president who takes national security seriously and will try to play catch up.

There are a number of areas that need attention. Civil defense, or the lack thereof is a concern to me. Compared to Russia, our air defenses are far too modest. A missle defense shield will also be a priority.

It is hard to say how Gore, if elected president, would react under the current set of circumstances. One advantage to a Gore Presidency is that we could not lose a vote in the UN. He would have insisted that the UN repeatedly recount the votes and called in his legal team to find a technicality to throw out the vote of France -- if he could do it in Florida, he could do it at the UN.

Re: Defense Budget

Steve P on 3/21/03 at 06:43 (113709)

John -- A rough indication of overall US defense posture is the number of Navy ships. The number's always lower at the end of a Democratic administration than at the beginning.

At the end of Clinton's term it was at the lowest level in 80 years.....since the end of WWI.