Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ELAVIL

Posted by RACHAEL T. on 3/20/03 at 20:52 (113682)

I respond to many of your questions in this note.....First Dr. Z! Wow, great memory - yes, I am the competitive show horse trainer! & Yes, I had ESWT on both feet in Ohio back in Nov. 2001 - & yes, it did help 'somewhat' - but not sufficiently with the overall foot soreness, burning, & discomfort which has persisted. Orthotics? - I've never found comfort level with them - but I continue to persist wearing them - in order to do the right thing & follow prof. orders by local pod. & PT person. My question to you - what exactly do you mean when you use the phrase 'neuropathic component to my foot pain.' Please explain or advise some site that will offer info & explanation of such. As to Elavil - I just began 1 week ago & only started w/ 10mg at night - & yes, I found it to be quite helpful.

Re: ELAVIL

Pam S. on 3/20/03 at 22:59 (113699)

Do any of you find weight gain to be a problem with Elavil? Foot Doctors do not like me because they did not answer my question about permanent nerve damage. I promise I will not hold it against you is you are not sure!!!! I think some of us just need permissions to NOT wear orthodics because every foot doctor says to. We just all want to Do what is best for our feet but sometimes pain speaks louder.
FYI I have friends with fibro and burning pain who have been on Elavil for years and years.

Kathy G on 3/21/03 at 18:45 (113812)

Another FYI:

I've been on Elavil for about ten years and gained no weight. As far as I can see, it's not listed as a side-effect of the drug. I did find the dry mouth to be a problem but that lessens with time and it's not problematic for me. I only take 20mg at bedtime.

AngelaS on 3/21/03 at 22:21 (113844)

I may be confused about the question about nerve damage, but I asked the Neurologist about it and he said TTS could damage the nerve permanently. When I had the Nerve conduction test done it was negative and he said that meant there was no damage. But now I am wondering...might it be occuring now or tomorrow..or???

Sharon W on 3/22/03 at 10:20 (113878)

Angela,

The answer to that is yes. Nerve conduction tests for TTS, if repeated a year later (and the problem has not been resolved) will often show nerve slowing (damage) the second time around. Just because it showed up normal then, doesn't mean it would always show up normal.

Sharon

Pam S. on 3/22/03 at 11:09 (113890)

Dear Sharon:
Thank you for your nice e-mail a while back. It seems there are plenty of sufferers who do not choose to have the TTS surgery. Therefore, are we all in for 'permanent damage'. What does that mean and what would happen if we had permanent damage? I was told by my ortho surgeon's PT that I would not have permanent damage to the nerve if I did not have the surgery. Now I am a little worried. I have not had the needle EMG in 3 or 4 years and I am not eager to do it. Maybe it depends on how the nerve is entrapped. I had an MRI one year ago on this foot also showing no mass.
I am getting so much relief from the compression sock I am flying high for now. Sharon, I did not get an answer to the foot doctor on here about my concern of are we folks with flat, bony feet short changing ourselves by not continuing to find a custom make orthodic? It truly seems to increase my nerve pain. Just want to do the right thing. I think my posts are too long...sorry. Leaving tomorrow for vacation to warm my feet. Thank you for your help. Pam

Re: Nerve damage

Sharon W on 3/22/03 at 12:33 (113908)

Pam,

No, it doesn't mean that. But IF your TTS is not being adequately treated and controlled by other methods, then you may be 'in for' some nerve damage. (Nerve damage is not always 'permanent', by the way. When nerve cells are KILLED, THAT is permanent -- but damage to the sheath that wraps the nerve can heal, as can damage to the axon - sometimes.) As long as you are receiving treatment and it seems to be improving, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Repeating the nerve conduction tests might not be a bad idea, though, just to be sure... That's up to you. I do realize how unpleasant those tests can be; I've had them myself.

I'm glad that the compression hose seem to be helping you. I use them, too -- although in my case, it's because I know I do have a circulation problem. They may not be glamorous (!) but if they help reduce the pain and swelling, it's worth it...

Sharon

Re: Nerve damage

Pam S. on 3/22/03 at 18:36 (113926)

Sharon, I think I got a little over confident. Just walked the mall with those compressions socks,plus a second pair of socks with good shoes and now I am icing BOOO. (Shopping for spring break with my 15 yr old. FUN!!!!!!) My questions is I am not really getting any treatment right now. I am not in physical therapy. I just take the neurontin and stretch and ice. I that what you mean by 'controlled my other methods'. What other methods would you use to control TTS?
I think you are right, I should bite the bullet and see what the status of this nerve is with the EMG but I just want to forget about it. Dream on. As you can see, I am searching for the secret 'other method' I do not know about to contol this. You have already advised me there is no magic bullet. I appreciate your wise advice. You are so smart!!!! Pam
ps if you can answer tonight, great, i am leaving early am tomorrow, if not do not worry I will catch you after next week i hope Thx

AngelaS on 3/22/03 at 22:11 (113952)

I looked up Elavil in my reference book and it did list weight gain as a side effect.